+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
How do you do....it? Thread, Log in to virtual machines? in Technical; The trouble with being on holiday is that I have brain space to think! So been thinking about my planned ...
  1. #1
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41

    Log in to virtual machines?

    The trouble with being on holiday is that I have brain space to think! So been thinking about my planned move to virtual servers - those of you who already have such devices how do you log in to them? What's the best practice on this sort of thing?

  2. #2

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Most management suites give you a graphical console to the VM, you just can't walk up to the actual box and log into it.

  3. #3

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    either through the console (the software) or remote desktop. but from stuff like active directory just use the Adminpak on the local machine aswell as for exchange

    toby

  4. #4
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    So if I have a box that's running 3 servers on Hyper-V I log in to/at the physical machine, run Hyper-V then log in to a v-machine? Can I log in to more than one machine at a time?

  5. #5

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,934
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    vsphere client.

    but i pop in VNC for emergency.

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,591
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    So if I have a box that's running 3 servers on Hyper-V I log in to/at the physical machine, run Hyper-V then log in to a v-machine? Can I log in to more than one machine at a time?
    you probably cant log into any vm on the physical box if its like virtual server 2008 box is a core based os and theres sod all you can do its all mmc/similar and rdp from a n other pc

  7. #7
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Best that I stop thinking about it then - until I get the book which will I hope reveal all. Thanks folks.

  8. #8

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    for example i have used ESXI, all you can do at the machine pretty much is change the name of the host and also its ip address (you can do more but not what you want) you then walk away go sit at your computer put in the ip address you gave the node in a browser - download the client software then login and you configure it from there and view the screen. Have you ever used Vmware workstation or sun virtual box? if you imagine using that but the vm's themselves are running on the server box rather then locally and you are just given the screen etc like you would with them

    Toby

  9. #9
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    for example i have used ESXI, all you can do at the machine pretty much is change the name of the host and also its ip address (you can do more but not what you want) you then walk away go sit at your computer put in the ip address you gave the node in a browser - download the client software then login and you configure it from there and view the screen. Have you ever used Vmware workstation or sun virtual box? if you imagine using that but the vm's themselves are running on the server box rather then locally and you are just given the screen etc like you would with them
    Toby
    Thanks yes I have used VMWare server and workstation, just not sure how Hyper-V works.

  10. #10

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,521
    Thank Post
    1,333
    Thanked 469 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    199
    We're a HyperV environment, but not core, all our HyperV manager boxes run datacenter 2008 R2, and then the virtual machines on that. so I coul physiclaly log into the hyperv manager box, and open up a console window and log into any or all of the virtual machines. But I just enable RDP on all the virtual servers and remote desktop into them.

  11. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

    leco (6th April 2010)

  12. #11

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    I think Hyper- v uses a MMC type snap in for remote management. This is a quote from there website which mentions the remote management
    Hyper-V supports remote management and also provides a Hyper-V MMC only installation option for a separate management node
    I did have a play with it but that was while it was still in beta testing so can't quite remember!

    Toby

  13. #12
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    We're a HyperV environment, but not core, all our HyperV manager boxes run datacenter 2008 R2, and then the virtual machines on that. so I coul physiclaly log into the hyperv manager box, and open up a console window and log into any or all of the virtual machines. But I just enable RDP on all the virtual servers and remote desktop into them.
    Yes that makes sense, thanks. Is it possible to install the remote management console on another workstation perhaps?

  14. #13

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,521
    Thank Post
    1,333
    Thanked 469 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    199

  15. #14

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,521
    Thank Post
    1,333
    Thanked 469 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Yes that makes sense, thanks. Is it possible to install the remote management console on another workstation perhaps?
    AFAIK yes you can installl the HyperV Manager elsewhere

  16. #15
    leco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,026
    Thank Post
    595
    Thanked 125 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    41
    Don't know about your display, but the uploaded image spills out into the border space.Very strange experience especially with two scroll bars

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Backing up Virtual machines
    By m1ddy in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23rd April 2010, 08:44 AM
  2. virtual machines?
    By alunmjones in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11th March 2010, 02:13 PM
  3. A SAN for Virtual Machines
    By Lee_K_81 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 8th October 2009, 12:57 AM
  4. Imaging and Virtual Machines
    By Reaper in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15th July 2009, 08:26 AM
  5. Virtual Machines
    By FN-GM in forum *nix
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th October 2007, 06:55 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •