+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Cleaning rooms in Technical; got to go round and clean all of the computers over easter. What I want to know is are there ...

Thank Post

Cleaning rooms

got to go round and clean all of the computers over easter.

What I want to know is are there any great products for cleaning screens and removing 'yack' from keyboards and cases, i'm thinking some sort of high powered air moving device?

ta

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrej View Post
    got to go round and clean all of the computers over easter.

What I want to know is are there any great products for cleaning screens and removing 'yack' from keyboards and cases, i'm thinking some sort of high powered air moving device?

ta
    The only product I can think of is called 'cleaners'. The product description might vary in different regions, but ours goes along the lines of 'cleaners - the ones who are paid to clean, giving the IT team an opportunity to get on with their actual job'

Thank Post
    ahhh, that made me laugh....

Thank Post
    We clean all the PCs here ourselves, I just blast everything with foam cleaner and give it a wipedown.

Only gets done 3 times a year mind - that's all we have time for.

Thank Post
    Although the majority is left to the above mentioned "cleaners", I recommend CyberClean. A brilliant goo which picks up all sorts of rubbish from keyboards, mice, mobile phones. Everything. It's brilliant!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    We clean all the PCs here ourselves, I just blast everything with foam cleaner and give it a wipedown.

Only gets done 3 times a year mind - that's all we have time for.
    We clean machines that come in for repair (as when they are cleaned they actually look like we've taken a look at them). But cleaning machines in the room is not part of my job description. I'm not saying I'm 'too good' to clean computers - I just don't have time, and when it's a case of cleaning machines or getting backups working I know which is the priority.

Cleaners get paid to clean. We get paid to fix stuff and drink coffee. I would never ask a cleaner to reseat the RAM on a computer.....

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutMotive View Post
    Although the majority is left to the above mentioned "cleaners", I recommend CyberClean. A brilliant goo which picks up all sorts of rubbish from keyboards, mice, mobile phones. Everything. It's brilliant!
    I remember seeing a couple of reviews somewhere (possibly here) saying that it is rubbish.
    Last edited by Hightower; 31st March 2010 at 10:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I remember seeing a couple of reviews somewhere (possibly here) saying that it is rubbish.
    I got a sample just after Christmas and was sceptical at first.
    However, after a few goes, I've found it really works. It isn't for stubborn stuff as some people think but it's great for getting loose crap from keyboards and other hard-to-reach places. Anti-bacterial, too, so good for office phone handsets

Thank Post
    These airdusters are what we use, along with generic anti-static screen cleaner, and also generic foam spray cleaner. micro fibre cloths or just paper towel, but it's worth asking your site team and/or cleaners for any of the cleaners, and also their anti graffiti spray comes in handy quite regularly. Our cleaners won't touch a desk that houses a pc?!?!

Thank Post
    I use a 50:50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol, as recommended elsewhere. Smells great.

Thank Post
    We're the same as Hightower. Don't have the time to clean PC's and peripherals.

We have to priotise our jobs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @sacrej:

We use a product called "Mr Muscle" window and glass cleaner with one of those magic funny feeling cloths (lint free) just one quick spray and wipe hey presto works like magic.

My technician can clean an ICT suite of 30 computers in 10 mins.

They are hard glass fronted though, Neovos 17".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrej View Post
    For cleaning screens, we find supermarket own-brand baby wipes and toilet roll are fine. For removing pretty much any other kind of stuck on gunk, try Brasso (the tins of pre-soaked wadding are very handy). If you're using cans of air, be aware that they get very cold very quickly and start to expell water along with the air, which tends not to be good for delicate electronic equipment. They are also expensive, although obviously very handily portable. You might do better with a small air compressor, as used by airbrush artists - you need an attachment on the airbrush to avoid water vapour coming out of the nozzle.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I use Vicki from TCSL's magic wipes there anti-bacterial and great at shifting muck even stubborn muck. If I don't have that to hand I use Pledge on everything, cleans nicely and seems to help keep the muck away until the cleaners come with the wet soggy rags they use and slosh water everywhere

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We Use some multi surface cleaner that the "cleaners" use and some blue rag, but before that we blast everything out with compressed air out of a compresser with a gun nozzle on the end it's the site managers works and does the job

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread