+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, PAT Testing in Technical; Hey, We're getting a lot of grief at the moment over PAT testing of equipment, I'm just looking for some ...

Thank Post

PAT Testing

Hey,

We're getting a lot of grief at the moment over PAT testing of equipment,
    I'm just looking for some advice on how you all do things?

Do you get an external firm in to do PAT testing on site?

If not are you as Technicians/Network Managers responsible for PAT testing in your school?

And if so at what level? ie Just ICT equipment.

Also has anyone got any ideas on the official guidelines on this?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers.

Thank Post

Re: PAT Testing

I've no idea who is actually supposed to be responsible for it, but we do all the ICT PAT testing ourselves.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

The campus manager here arranges it i think, or the council remind him to arrange it, or there is a homeless bloke who walks around the school every summer sticking labels on things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts

You could do it yourself, get on one of the courses our LEA runs some buy yourself a nice testing machine that is safe for use on ICT equipment and then spend days doing it all once a year.

I would think someone else would then need to be responsible for the other electrical equipment in the school.

We just pay the lea per item and they get some external contractor in once a year to do it.

Ben

Thank Post

We do all the ICT equipment in our school. Then other technicians cover their department areas, eg science and Design Tech. Then the caretaker is supposed to finish off the bits and bobs although he hasn't started yet because he doesn't have time.

It is a big hassle as it is sooooo time consuming, and I just don't have the time in the day to do it. Plus you need to have kids and staff out of the way really. Don't have time to do it in hols either, usually big projects going on. So now I have started doing overtime on an enevening and they are paying time and a half so not too bad afterall.

I must say though that you cannot do PAT testing unless you have been on a proper course and received a certificate to qualify you. That is the law. So as simple as it can be to do, don't do it if you haven't had the official training. Our college here in carlisle provided my training.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    I must say though that you cannot do PAT testing unless you have been on a proper course and received a certificate to qualify you. That is the law.
    No. You need to be "competent", and one way of proving this is to do a course. I had been doing it for years before I did the C&G course, our science technicians are going to try a DVD course with an on-line test. I'll report back on this as and when I hear details.

The City and Guilds 2377 Testing and Inspection of Electrical Equipment course is quite straightforward if you have a little practical electrical knowlege, and the test is a multiple guess, open book doddle.

Thank Post

Our LEA PAT test all our equipment including ICT. I put together some kind of timetable as to when they can get into the rooms and the Science Technician liases with the rest of the school.

As the school gets bigger and more equipment bought what used to take a 5 man team 1 week to do now takes nearly 3!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i do all our pat testing its cost less for te school the pay me for doing it but other wise they get charged at 1.50 a item just got te school to buy a tester and calabrete it cost 800 pounds but in the long run it will pay for its self the say in two years they would have got there money back and as a pat tester that ia all you do if it fails it is not your job to fix it you just put the failed sticker on and give them a report. the course is not that hard it is basic on ours we had someone who knoew nothing about eletrics and still passed its more about being sensible it is very a very simple course.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Estates Manager at our place arranges it all, usually gets LEA to do it or an external company.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    you have to be very careful testing IT equipment or anything with sensitive components inside as you test them a different way than usual 230v appliances , when i did my course we were shown a clip of a guy who qualified via a different company that i was trained by who tested all his companys IT equipment over the weekend and then got fired on the monday morning when they found out he had fried 200+ pc's and lost all the comapny files in the process

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread