+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
How do you do....it? Thread, Damn JPEG's....how small to make them... in Technical; I gave all staff and pupils 2 weeks warning at the start of this term and then deleted all jpeg ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    I gave all staff and pupils 2 weeks warning at the start of this term and then deleted all jpeg files from personal login folders.

You could almost hear the server sigh with relief at the amount of free space created.

Actually, I was a bit more picky than I made out I was going to be, and did leave selected images for staff... as we're a tiny school it's relatively easy to do.

Thank Post
    After reading this thread I got the xp powertools image resizer and had a bit of a play today, a 141meg folder full of pictures (32 pics at around 4meg each) shrank down to a lovely folder that was only 3.5meg, picture quality wasnt lost too much either, I set it to large image size, 1024 along the bottom and compared the large and small images and there wasnt much in it, tomorrow i'm going to have a purge on all the crap, er images on the drives, that should make our backups a hell of a lot smaller.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I might be missing something, but why not just impose quotas? That way, users have to decide what to do - you can give them guidance as to how to make their files smaller but they have to take responsibility.

@elsiegee's method of checking through folders is good for a small school but won't work for an average secondary school or larger - there are just too many folders so you need an automatic process.

Using any of the mentioned tools to automate file size shrinking will work but you run the risk of destroying important work. Of course, most of the pictures taken and saved on the network are rubbish (to be kind) and shrinking them won't lose anything but I'd be surprised if there were no users taking good photos at high res which they need to look like that.

@gshaw's comment about the price of disc storage is correct - high speed storage is very expensive compared to USB SATA drives - but there's no reason you can't do some kind of hierarchical storage.

Not really worked out details of how to do this but I would imagine that you could move bitmaps older than (say) 1 year onto an external drive. If you do this once a month you could keep all these files for a year. If someone says "I need the files back from 12 months ago" you can quickly move them back to live storage. If they don't ask for them for a year after they were archived then you can safely delete.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I might be missing something, but why not just impose quotas?
    Tried it, teachers apparently don't see why they should have to make the effort to keep their files organised (or even to turn down the settings on the cameras).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I might be missing something, but why not just impose quotas?
    You can only impose quotas on home areas, not on the shared departmental or curriculum areas, nor on NAS drives and such like.

Thank Post
    We use quotas but just to impose a limit from somone doing something REALLY stupid so it's high - around 4.7Gb.

I've just been given the go ahead to start batch reducing ALL photos on the servers in all year 7-11's home folders.

I'm going to use ABC to reduce the longest dimension of each JPG I find to 1200 px.

In total (years 7-13) we have over 100,000 JPG's stored taking up 170Gb

Project will take a while to complete but I'm hoping to reclaim around 70Gb

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    You can only impose quotas on home areas, not on the shared departmental or curriculum areas, nor on NAS drives and such like.
    it depends on which version of server software you're running. Server 2003 R2 and later have the File Server Resource Manager which is more flexible - Quota Management

There are also third party tools (eg - WinQuota Software - Flexible Solutions for Windows Administration) which will impose a quota on any directory.

With NAS boxes I'm not sure what you could do - it would depend on how much control you had over the OS but if you can run scripts on it then you could do something which ran (say) once an hour to check for folder sizes and if limits were exceeded it turned off the ability to create new files.

8. Thanks to srochford from:

enjay (16th March 2010)

Thank Post
    The is nothing worse than printing photos and other work for displays only to find some thicko techy who does not kno how to use quotas has reduced the size of them so the maximum size they can be printed is say 8x12 cm which is usless for display work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Tried it, teachers apparently don't see why they should have to make the effort to keep their files organised (or even to turn down the settings on the cameras).
    I'd always suggest taking the picture in the highest quality available, and then resample it later. It's much nicer to have a full 10mp image to crop a section out of than once it's been resized.

I'd probably go as far as saying keep the original files on a DVD or something so you can go back to the source image if you want to use it some time down the line.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    It's much nicer to have a full 10mp image to crop a section out of than once it's been resized.

I work in Primary: You're talking about people who have difficulty getting pictures off the memory card and onto the shared areas correctly!

There's no photo manipulation being done, just huge quantities of unnecessarily large pictures taking up already tight disk space on the server!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I'd probably go as far as saying keep the original files on a DVD or something so you can go back to the source image if you want to use it some time down the line.
    and who is going to spend time doing that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Whilst this is an old'ish thread adn I will add to the wiki when I can get it to work for me I found this app today Batch Picture Resize easy to configure and then run against a folder or set of folders.

Ben

Thank Post
    all i have to say is faststone photo resizer awesome piece of free software (prolly already been mentioned)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234