+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Damn JPEG's....how small to make them... in Technical; We have a bought copy of advanced batch converter 3.9 Can hunt out all images in folders/sub folders then I ...
    Thank Post
    We have a bought copy of advanced batch converter 3.9

Can hunt out all images in folders/sub folders then I just let it run - can do many things other than resize....

2. Thanks to kennysarmy from:

dpittaway (12th March 2010)

Thank Post
    I know space is a big deal to most of you techies but you realise that when you compress jpgs you not only mauke them smaller is size but also drastically reduce their quality and make them only useful for geeky things such as websites?

BJG
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    We do it with Irfanview.
    ^^^

Great program. The resizer powertoy is also a must-have.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by runcmd View Post
    I know space is a big deal to most of you techies but you realise that when you compress jpgs you not only mauke them smaller is size but also drastically reduce their quality and make them only useful for geeky things such as websites?
    You think?

How many of the JPG's on school networks get printed out larger than A3 on high quality photographic paper then?

Even 1024 images in my opinion are fine for inserting in to office apps and printing off full size on laser printers on rubbish paper....

I also dispute that it DRASTICALLY reduces their quality - was nt that long ago that digital cameras could only take at 1024 resolution - did see anyone complaining then.....

I personally don't even think the ART department need to be saving at 3488 x 2616 IMO...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    We have a bought copy of advanced batch converter 3.9

Can hunt out all images in folders/sub folders then I just let it run - can do many things other than resize....

Ah so it can be automated! Thanks for this - I will investigate this software!

Quote Originally Posted by runcmd View Post
    You realise that 1024px wide is still plenty big enough for most things though, right?

Todays digital cameras produce absolutely HUGE images that only need to be left that way if they want to be printed on full-page A4 photo-paper and that sort of thing. And even then the original size is probably still not needed.

Bear in mind that you can get photos off digital cameras that are 3000px wide easily, and then consider that a 1920 px wide image is a decent size for a HD display!
    Last edited by dpittaway; 12th March 2010 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    What about the bulk resizing of images in a single folder? Any personal preferences as to which program is quick and easy to use?
    the xp power toy works for this... just select a load and right click, make sure to resize orignals

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, wait, they've only gone and stuffed a massive bitmap of the school logo and other logos on every single one!!! Turning a 19kb Word file into a 2.4MB one........!!! For every single kid in the school. Gah.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thought I'd posted this before but I can't find it so I've written a blog post - http://www.edugeek.net/forums/blogs/...s-smaller.html

It's just a script that will search a directory tree for .DOC files which are bigger than a specified size and older than a specified age. Those it finds, it will resave as .DOCX, regaining lots and lots of space :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Thought I'd posted this before but I can't find it so I've written a blog post - http://www.edugeek.net/forums/blogs/...s-smaller.html

It's just a script that will search a directory tree for .DOC files which are bigger than a specified size and older than a specified age. Those it finds, it will resave as .DOCX, regaining lots and lots of space :-)
    Call me dim if you want, but how is this script supposed to be run? Is it supposed to be saved as a .bat file or something similar?

Sounds very useful, if I can understand what to do with it!

Also, how does it work? Do I need Office 2007 on the computer I run the script on to do the convert, or does it just do it the dirty way and edit the file's properties?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dpittaway View Post
    Call me dim if you want, but how is this script supposed to be run? Is it supposed to be saved as a .bat file or something similar?
    <joke> Nah, dim only gets called for defining variables </joke>

Thank Post
    We use nconvert and a batch file and it seems to work quite well:

NConvert Software - Free graphic and photo batch converter

Call the batch file with the required directory, or hard code it into the batch file, and wait

Code:
    @echo off
    rem if "%1"=="" goto no_files

for /R %1 %%a in (*.jpg) do nconvert.exe -out jpeg -ratio -rflag decr -resize 2048 0 -keepfiledate "%%a"
    goto exit

:no_files
    echo Please call batch file with folder name
    echo e.g resize "s:\"
    pause

:exit
    exit

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @all:

We use Irfanview here to allow the staff and students to batch resize their photos before uploading them to the shared areas.

Ohh and of course it's free:
    Download IrfanView and its quick and you can network it, Hmmmmm what else can it do.....................................let me think............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....Lots and lots of things but its Friday and I have forgotten now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    We show them how to compress images in Word, PPT and so on (they often forget though).
    But that just applies JPEG compression and removes bits that have been cropped. If somebody takes an image which is 3000px wide and scales it down to fit, the Word document still contains the 3000px version - it doesn't resize it, just drops the quality.

Thank Post
    Gah, don't talk to me about images!!!! Noticed a load of HDD space had gone awol on one of the shares so had a shufty.
    As above, then...

Find a teacher has saved 1.75GB of photographs from a recent trip. Twice in the same folder.

Duplicate deleted, batch resized and folder now only about 300MB

Thank Post
    A teacher had pictures of every single child in the school (~500) and decided to send them to print...in one document...which was 3gb. Print spooler wasn't happy and neither was the rest of our ageing decrepit network.

Thank Post

a really geeky solution

for batch resizing (and a host of other things) you might also want to take a look at:

ImageMagick: Convert, Edit, and Compose Images

it's free, open Source and will churn through directory's of images happily. Because it's command line it's also scriptable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast