+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Printers in Classrooms in Technical; I was wondering what your schools policy about Printers in classrooms is? We are, as I'm sure most places are ...

Thank Post

Printers in Classrooms

I was wondering what your schools policy about Printers in classrooms is?

We are, as I'm sure most places are at the moment, being pushed to save as much money as possible. One area I was looking at is removing, or stopping the use of the little deskjet printers in classrooms. We all know that the cost per page is much higher than our network printers or leased photo copiers but I was wondering what you actually had in school.

Do you allow staff to have their own printers in classrooms? Does every room have a printer in it?

Answers on a post card please.
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 9th March 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    We have 53 printers logged on my database. We have around 900 students.

We are trying to replace the more expensive ones with lasers of the same type! Hopefully, gradually, we will reduce the number of printers.

Thank Post
    Sorry, It's just the one sitting on teahers desks in classrooms, do you have them?

Thank Post
    1 B/W laser printer per department. If it's a large department or has a specific need, they may get a colour laser as well. These are as centrally located within that department as possible, and are networked and controlled by our print management software. No questions, that's what they get. All inkjets are banned as of last year (Except for one in the library for printing labels on)

Works well here, saving a small fortune on toner so far this year.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @Stuart_C:

Each department has its own laserjet networked printer and they budget for the toners, so depending on their budget they get a printer which will serve their needs.

I have gone down the route of HP because they are so reliable and get all our toners from a company called XMA as they are the cheapest I have found in the country and they also do very good compatibles.

Most departments have HP 2015n in one room and share across the other classrooms unless they have the budget to sustain more.

I think they retail at around £180 from XMA if my memory serves me right.

6. Thanks to bossman from:

speckytecky (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am convinced that the official policy at one school I deal with is based on a race to see who can use the most paper. Each room has a colour inkjet and there are centralized lasers (colour and black and white) as well.

The inkjets are forever breaking down or being broken but it is apparently direly important for all teachers to be able to print out full colour photos in their rooms without leaving their desks. This is an ingrained culture with both the staff and SMT which no amount of logic or maths will correct.

I hate printers

Thank Post
    It depends on the department, if they're willing to pay the running costs they can have it.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the most part we have one network printer per classroom. Some staff have demanded their own network printer even though there is a network printer already in the room.

Occasionally we are sharing network printers between adjacent rooms.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,643 Posts
    We're primary and the school has networked printers with none (belonging to the school) in classrooms.

Some teachers have brought in their own printers, which have been installed locally by me. To do this they have to register the printer with the Bursar, who arranges for a PAT Test and for me to install it. Our Policy for Electrical Equipment states
    Schoolname will not normally insure, maintain, service, repair or replace any electrical equipment covered by the definition at the start of this document that is not owned by Schoolname.

This includes the purchase of parts, cables or consumables such as printer cartridges.

Electrical equipment to be used on the school computer network must be installed by the person responsible for maintaining the network after PAT testing. It cannot be installed until testing is complete and installation must not be attempted by anyone other than the person responsible for maintaining the network
    we stick to that... once installed, the equipment is PAT tested annually and I don't touch it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I started pretty much every class had its own little inkjet. This really didn't work as they were always going wrong and the ink bill was sky high.

We removed all these and gave each year its own laser printer in an easily accessible area. To start with there was a fair bit of moaning that they had to walk somewhere to pick up their printing but when they realised that the lasers where so much more reliable they were much happier than before.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Do you allow staff to have their own printers in classrooms? Does every room have a printer in it?
    We use HP LaserJet 4650s and HP Business Inkjet 1100s around the school - we have 24 of the inkjets and 7 of the laserjets, 4 larger leased multi-function devices, plus a few other printers that have so far escaped my standardisation drive. The inkjets tend to be on individuals desks, mostly admin staff and teachers with their own offices, although we do have some being communual, networked printers.

Ideally, we'd just have half-a-dozen large multi-function devices scattered around the school, teachers would display worksheets on classroom projectors (which we mostly don't have yet, so you can see why they don't), pupils would hand in printed work by printing to a networked PDF document printer, etc. In practice, when we tried setting up the new staff work area without a printer, figuring that this would cut down on printing being done, we simply found that no-one used the room.

We buy all our printers second-hand off eBay. The inkjets all take the same cartridges so there's only one type to buy and we can leave them in a big tub in reception for people to come and grab as needed.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    we are primary, we have dell 1100 ( They do pretty much well) in each class room for teachers use. also we have 3 Hp 3505dn accross the school and a xerox copier networked. also an un networked Xerox colour copier.

No inkjets

Thank Post
    Currently we have a HP 2015dn or equivalent per computer pool, no printers in classrooms if it's not a pool. Over the next couple of years we are moving to 1:1 notebooks to students and so I am watching the replies with interest. To go either the large printer per building or to place a smaller laser per classroom is yet to be decided, cannot wait till this paperless idea gets in.

Only student accessible colour printer is in the Library. We use PaperCut to monitor student use and after their quota is used they pay for more use.

We have had good success with refilled toners, a possible money saver as they are pretty much 50% the price of HP toners here.

Thank Post
    I bet you could save a lot of money by getting rid of these little USB prints and getting some well placed MFD's
    That and enforcing B&W print outs only and educating users on how much printing costs.

plenty of software packages to do this (already mentioned in the thread)

Thank Post
    We have a number of small HP MFP Lasers dotted around the school, something I find quite irritating and costly. We have found that the staff are just too ingrained to luxury to walk to a central spot to get the print outs.

While some departments cover their own toner, most of it comes through us, and boy oh boy is toner becoming more and more expensive. We just don't trust generic toner enough, which could probably save us quite a bit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast