+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, live@edu in Technical; Anyone using this yet?We're going to be setting this up soon, just looking about how to get started. Gonna get ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

live@edu

Anyone using this yet?We're going to be setting this up soon, just looking about how to get started. Gonna get some external support for it eventually but just looking for pointers/tips etc.

Our staff email is hosted internally on exchange, the live@edu wiil just be for the students..

We have multiple IPs, so planning on using one, and setting up a mymail.school.au subdomain specifically for it. Do we just set the MX for the live@edu on that subdomain ?

Also is there anything I need to know about Active Directory.. How will we bulk upload all existing students to create an account (their login is their student number so would want to use that as their email)

Also, how does it work when we create new accounts in AD. Is there a way of automatically creating the live@edu account?

Cheers for any info..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No-one using this?

Just set it up and it looks pretty decent. Going to be a struggle to get all the users out of AD I reckon.

Also I cant seem to receive any maill on the new accounts, keeps bouncing back saying "Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies."

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Didn't they have a tool for transferring/copying users over from AD?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Aye seems theres a poweshell script to do a csv upload. Still need to figure out how Im gonna go about populating the email address field in all the accounts in AD with the email addresses I want them to be.

The issue at hand just now is why i cant send any emails to the addresses.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Aye seems theres a poweshell script to do a csv upload. Still need to figure out how Im gonna go about populating the email address field in all the accounts in AD with the email addresses I want them to be.

The issue at hand just now is why i cant send any emails to the addresses.
    To populate the email field, can't you bulk select the users, righ-click, select properties and in the email field use %username%@somewhere.here.now ?

For the receiving problem, are the Live@edu servers configured as regular Exchange servers where by they don't accept SMTP from servers that aren't trusted/allowed?

6. Thanks to Ric_ from:

RabbieBurns (29th March 2010)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    We just got it set up yesterday on a new sub-domain. We needed it as we cannot afford to pay our email provider (easymail) for any more addresses and half the school dont have them. I am not looking forward to sorting them all out now!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    The first link is interesting as it says we dont need ILM but we are led to believe we do..

The second link looks good too.. Ill check it out in the morning, thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    To populate the email field, can't you bulk select the users, righ-click, select properties and in the email field use %username%@somewhere.here.now ?

For the receiving problem, are the Live@edu servers configured as regular Exchange servers where by they don't accept SMTP from servers that aren't trusted/allowed?
    Ill try that for bulk changing the email address field. Cheers.

As for the second point, that could be the case. I have added our exchange mail IP to the allowed list so I will see if that lets it through. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    The first link is interesting as it says we dont need ILM but we are led to believe we do..

The second link looks good too.. Ill check it out in the morning, thanks.

I'll keep my eyes peeled as we're intereste in Live@edu here but haven't had time to look into it yet.

Thank Post
    Live@Edu... I think I can help

We've been into this from early last year due to the Moodle integration as I saw it as a nice way to get some value-added services for free on top of the usual VLE stuff.

User accounts and passwords... fun fun!

You can either upload via PowerShell (works very nicely) or use ILM (with the OlSync add-on) to synchronise the accounts. What is doesn't do by default is passwords, you need to install another add-on to ILM (PCNS iirc) to handle that, but I've read quite a few threads on the very useful Outlook Live Answers site about password policies between AD and Live being different and as such causing some issues.

Passwords (if synced) go from AD > Live and not back the other way.

I'm hoping their new version of ILM (ForeFront Identity Manger) will make this process a bit easier and neater... will see in a few weeks at the Microsoft Education Conference I'm booked into

http://www.outlookliveanswers.com

Also a few useful bits on my blog for getting started with Live@Edu and making a custom Windows Live sign-in screen...

http://gshaw0.spaces.live.com

Looks like you can use the SSO to load a Live@Edu mailbox authenticating against the user's AD credentials, could be one for a Microsoft Partner I think. I'd guess you'd still need to provision the mailbox somehow though?
    Last edited by gshaw; 2nd March 2010 at 09:48 AM.

13. Thanks to gshaw from:

Gibbo (2nd March 2010)

Thank Post
    I did this - I just used a PowerShell script to migrate users over to live@edu - it does mean that they have a different password for their email, but I don't think this is a bad thing, as they will be able to keep their email address after they leave (which is what we do).

I know that MS UK is quite good at supporting new users onto the system, I'm not sure what MS AU are doing though.

There is a lot of interesting stuff coming to Live@edu, so its definitely worth doing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    We're looking at implementing this. I don't understand the domain registration bit. If it's all externally hosted, why do they need a domain owned by the school?
    Well you need to have something branding the email address to your organisation. Domains are dirt cheap for education so just get something similar or use a subdomain of your existing domain for student email

Hi again Nadeem, did you use the Moodle integration in the end or just using Live@Edu for email etc?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
    I did this - I just used a PowerShell script to migrate users over to live@edu - it does mean that they have a different password for their email, but I don't think this is a bad thing, as they will be able to keep their email address after they leave (which is what we do).

I know that MS UK is quite good at supporting new users onto the system, I'm not sure what MS AU are doing though.

There is a lot of interesting stuff coming to Live@edu, so its definitely worth doing.
    MS have put us in touch with their 3rd party partners and offered us an educational discount. We probably will get them in eventually to just double check everyting and put some finishing touches to it.

How do you manage adding a new student mid-term for example.. do you just run the script again?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Live@Edu... I think I can help

We've been into this from early last year due to the Moodle integration as I saw it as a nice way to get some value-added services for free on top of the usual VLE stuff.

User accounts and passwords... fun fun!

You can either upload via PowerShell (works very nicely) or use ILM (with the OlSync add-on) to synchronise the accounts. What is doesn't do by default is passwords, you need to install another add-on to ILM (PCNS iirc) to handle that, but I've read quite a few threads on the very useful Outlook Live Answers site about password policies between AD and Live being different and as such causing some issues.

Passwords (if synced) go from AD > Live and not back the other way.

I'm hoping their new version of ILM (ForeFront Identity Manger) will make this process a bit easier and neater... will see in a few weeks at the Microsoft Education Conference I'm booked into

Outlook Live Answers

Also a few useful bits on my blog for getting started with Live@Edu and making a custom Windows Live sign-in screen...

Making "IT" work - Windows Live

Looks like you can use the SSO to load a Live@Edu mailbox authenticating against the user's AD credentials, could be one for a Microsoft Partner I think. I'd guess you'd still need to provision the mailbox somehow though?
    we dont have a strict password policy for the students, especially for the younger ones.. Will this affect us having SSO ?

Its a very good point you make about students leave. The school is planning on letting students keep access after they leave - obviously we disable their account once they leave, would this affect the slivemail if we link it dynamically to AD?

Thanks for the link to customising the login page. I will have a play tomorrow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast