+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, live@edu in Technical; We use a 10mbit link at the moment with no problems. I tried it at home with my adsl and ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use a 10mbit link at the moment with no problems. I tried it at home with my adsl and its fine.

I gave ILM a go but its incredibly complicated setup, doubt many will see it as a viable option. I manage on just CSV exports from active directory at the moment and I set it so that passwords are changed on first login. Seems to work. We have 1200 users and it didn't actually take that long.

Thank Post
    I gave ILM a go but its incredibly complicated setup, doubt many will see it as a viable option.
    Having watched the Office365 videos, my advice would be to stick with CSV rather than playing with ILM now - the equivalent is supposed to be and looks easier, it's just a case of whether you get it in the "for Education" version.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Having watched the Office365 videos, my advice would be to stick with CSV rather than playing with ILM now - the equivalent is supposed to be and looks easier, it's just a case of whether you get it in the "for Education" version.
    ADFS is the thing to be looking at (active directory federation services)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    ADFS is the thing to be looking at (active directory federation services)
    Sadly I think you need 2003 R2 domain for that

Thank Post
    Does anyone know when Office 365 will be released?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    What sort of interent connections do you have on campus if you are using Live@EDU? We have an ADSL connection and I dont think its going to play nicley

Has everyone gone the route of using ILM, or are some people managing it using CSV files?
    Just thinking about the email side of things, without going into the extras that come like collaboration online docs etc. I imagined that it would be no different to having all members of staff checking their hotmail, since it uses the same sort of interface ( i know it's probably different things at the backend ). All staff have access to hotmail/gmail etc. plus youtube so i don't think there will be that much extra strain. i'm just testing it out with a few members of staff at the moment.

Getting all students on there will add some overhead though, i don't think even they would all be online at once, only a limited number of labs. We have upped the 'net connection a little, to be around 4Mb with another 2Mb backup, or something like that. the 4Mb has failed at the moment.

Definitely noticed some slowness when using outlook as the client, any slight glitch and i start getting synchronisation errors, which weren't noticeable with the locally hosted exchange. I guess you could always run it in relay mode, so that all is hosted outside, but relayed to internal server, in case the 'net crashes. At least the internal server isn't critical, so keeping it maintained shouldn't be as big a task. I think that is the way we'll run it.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 31st January 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by derriunr View Post
    Does anyone know when Office 365 will be released?
    Went to the launch party at the BETT2011, and they were unsure of things, still not finalised pricing etc. It says coming in 2011, but you can still sign up for the BETA, so i guess it's a little way off yet. If you sign up for the BETA even if they don't accept you, you get put on the mailing list for more info.

Plus being stateside, you may get to trial it, and will no doubt get it released there earlier. We never even got the BPOS over here properly, after i was singing it's praises to loads of companies after using live@edu. Hope 365 makes its way over here sooner.

Thank Post
    For those who use Live@Edu how do you control it so students are not using MSN Messenger, chat and all the other online stuff that comes in the package? Does the admin side allow you to block the options you dont want? We want email and online office and thats it.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    For those who use Live@Edu how do you control it so students are not using MSN Messenger, chat and all the other online stuff that comes in the package? Does the admin side allow you to block the options you dont want? We want email and online office and thats it.
    I had a quick look on the outlook administration control panel but didn't see anything to turn it off.

I guess when office 365 is released it will be possible though.

Here's how to do it in lync at the moment

Set up Microsoft Lync Online - Office 365 Beta for enterprises

EDIT: Forgot to say you have full powershell access as well so I'm sure its possible somehow.

Thank Post
    Were having issues with our disabled AD accounts getting their mailboxes deleted! we've got ILm configured to do the account creation and password sync. but we've just noticed that if we disable user accounts they are getting deleted!!!! what do you guys have set in the deprovisioning section of ILM? Ours seems to be set to determind with rule extensions - sure it should be set to make them disconnectors! think some ones been tinkering!

Thank Post
    Hey Fiza

try this link for disabling messenger need to use powershell

Disable the Instant Messaging Widget in Outlook Live « Live@edu

think this did the trick for us when we set it up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor1972 View Post
    Were having issues with our disabled AD accounts getting their mailboxes deleted! we've got ILm configured to do the account creation and password sync. but we've just noticed that if we disable user accounts they are getting deleted!!!! what do you guys have set in the deprovisioning section of ILM? Ours seems to be set to determind with rule extensions - sure it should be set to make them disconnectors! think some ones been tinkering!
    Not sure of the fix, but i'm sure i read somewhere that a deleted mailbox is available for undeletion for up to a month, it may even have been 2 months.

Thank Post
    thanks for the quick reply vikpaw - i've checked using powershell but the mailbox has completley gone - if we enable the account again and run the sync it recreates a new mailbox! all the mail gone!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mine is set to the same. I have however not yet looked at decomissioning old accounts and its something Im going to be looking at soon. Also, I havent noticed if it deletes disabled users.. I will do some tests..

Thank Post
    thanks for the quick reply vikpaw - i've checked using powershell but the mailbox has completley gone - if we enable the account again and run the sync it recreates a new mailbox! all the mail gone!!!
    Log a support call just in case, i'm certain i got an email or read somewhere about this feature. Maybe it's not available to you, but if you log a case, they can do something in the backend.
    Apologies in advance if i'm wrong and am falsely getting your hopes up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast