+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, live@edu in Technical; Originally Posted by nadeem We have 2 domains (one for students & alumni) the other for staff. It's simple to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
    We have 2 domains (one for students & alumni) the other for staff.

It's simple to add in external contacts in needed, the slightly harder trick is to create in your staff email system all the contacts for the students!
    We havent bothered with that. If our staff want to contact the kids, they do it through the messaging in Moodle, which is set up to send an email from the staff address to the student address(es). The kids then reply, and it goes to the staff inbox. Downside is there is no record of sent items on the teachers side, but this hasnt been an issue yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    We havent bothered with that. If our staff want to contact the kids, they do it through the messaging in Moodle, which is set up to send an email from the staff address to the student address(es). The kids then reply, and it goes to the staff inbox. Downside is there is no record of sent items on the teachers side, but this hasnt been an issue yet.

I actually do both (moodle saves me creating umpteen mailing lists!), its quite simple for us to add the students to our main exchange - once I'd got the hang of it.

Thank Post
    At the risk of sounding like a complete numpty here, do you have to enter the 'confirm your domain' CNAME DNS record in your domain DNS server or does the RBC need to do it for you? My domain hasn't been confirmed for over 24 hours now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Someone has to. If you dont have access to your own external DNS then I guess you will need to ask whatever the RBC is to do it for you.

Also, Once the DNS CNAME has been added, dont keep pressing the Refresh or whatever button it is on the live@edu page, as this will set the confirmation timer back (so Ive been told by MS)
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 26th November 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone on live@edu implemented their SSO ?

https://www.microsoft.com/liveatedu/...-US&country=US

How does it work? Does it automatically log you into live@edu as soon as you log into a machine, so when you go to outlook.com it takes you straight to your inbox?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll be looking into SSO with sharepoint 2010 once I've rolled it out.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been testing this all week and Finally given in. Its not for us quite yet.

Blogged about it here

Replacing microsoft exchange with live@edu... not so fast

8. Thanks to zag from:

PiqueABoo (8th December 2010)

Thank Post
    I could use a genuine school opinion or two right now so did appreciate that (was a close match to what I envisaged for most of the same reasons).

Some comments:

- I suspect at least some of the pain is the difference between E2K3, and E2K7/10, where it's difficult to avoid working in PowerShell for this and that unless you have fairly basic requirements.

- I've now got my eyes set on what Live@Edu will become, presumably at some point next year: "Office 365 for Education". We don't know enough about that yet, but they've promised the same infrastructure and SLAs as for business customers (think I read somewhere it is 99.9%). There is an hour long TechEd presentation called Security and Compliance of the Office365 Platform which has lots of information about that, most of which I imagine (but don't know) will apply to the Edu version.

- Speed will obviously be slower than local, but it has been perfectly usable for me.

- Sync. Agree. Haven't touched that yet, but I've got that "bloated" feeling too.

- SSO. Agree. Looking at the SDK is on my to-do list.

- Support. I've asked the free MS support question and that worked OK. But I've found it quite difficult to track down what I think is some fundamentally useful information - the MS UK implementation guide very definitely helped, just not enough.

- Search and zap Bad E-Mail[tm]. There's a search feature in the GUI - unproven but I imagine you could use that to take out targeted ones. Or whatever it is you do now in E2K7/10 where you can't use Exmerge.

- Backups and Service outages. See the above "O365 for" comment, plus you can get deleted mailboxes back via PowerShell.

In addition to the issues you've raised there are some e-safety angles, for instance a school might not want things like the video sharing link on the web client, although perhaps O356 will help there).

My summary opinion: Live@Edu started off pitched at higher education with (technically) adult users and it's still a bit of a "squeeze" to make it fit in schools.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 8th December 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I've been testing this all week and Finally given in. Its not for us quite yet.

Blogged about it here

Replacing microsoft exchange with live@edu... not so fast

...I thought I would look into being an early adopter...
    Its been around since 2004/5 has it not?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its been around since 2004/5 has it not?
    Yes but I think the point I'm trying to make is that it isn't ready for schools yet. It still seems very early technology to me especially on the ADSync/SSO side of things.

All the universitys are going for it but I have only seen 1 or 2 secondary schools do it and now I know the reason.
    Last edited by zag; 9th December 2010 at 11:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How do people who use live@edu deal with students who leave after year 12? We have just had our first batch of students leave since we rolled out live@edu. We have no plans for them to keep their school email address.

If I just remove the user accounts from the OU's that live@edu uses, should it then remove them completely?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How do people who use live@edu deal with students who leave after year 12? We have just had our first batch of students leave since we rolled out live@edu. We have no plans for them to keep their school email address.

If I just remove the user accounts from the OU's that live@edu uses, should it then remove them completely?
    Good question. I always thought I would just leave them but it might get a bit messy as the years go by.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I always thought I would just leave them but it might get a bit messy as the years go by.
    You can leave them if you wanted to - Live@edu is free for alumni as well, but in a school environment this might not be something you want to have to manage...

By de-provisioning an account the next time that user goes to log in they are asked to nominate a new LiveID to transfer the ownership of the SkyDrive; however, they don't get to keep their mail.

An advantage for keeping your leavers on for a few months, or even a year, would be that if your sixth form students track their UCAS applications through their school account they may need access beyond their last days at school - leaving them on for a while at least gives them the chance to take a backup of their mailbox before it is deleted.

15. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

vikpaw (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Webinar of interest to the readers of this thread:

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/office...tml#post623787

Thank Post
    What sort of interent connections do you have on campus if you are using Live@EDU? We have an ADSL connection and I dont think its going to play nicley

Has everyone gone the route of using ILM, or are some people managing it using CSV files?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast