+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, live@edu in Technical; Originally Posted by zag Yeh we found that people actually like to type it in at school as its consistant ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Yeh we found that people actually like to type it in at school as its consistant with using it at home as well.

Whats really interesting is you can sign into windows 8 with the live ID. Maybe we could remove all local logins in the future
    I was going to post about it in the w8 thread but ill post here first. Have you tried w8 using the liveID? How does that work for user based group policies and mapped drives etc? Or does it not give them any of that and just their skydrive?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post

So is there a management agent for FIM now? I wonder if its worth upgrading as the only 2008 Server I have left is my ILM server I wouldnt mind getting it up to 2008R2.

But then again, if it aint broke dont fix it.. its been working fine since I first set it up in feb2010 I dont really want to make any more work for myself..
    The setup was quite easy, but I wouldn't bother upgrading if it's working - there is no real benefit as far as I can see, apart from being able to run on a 64 bit server (I'm all 2008R2, so no 32 bit for me)
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 2nd March 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Sorry if I reapeat anything that has been said before however we have just finished another school migration to live@edu and have come across a number of gotchas that you may want to be aware of:

SSO

The mere fact you have to setup a trusted internal site with a certificate provided by the live@edu team in order to have SSO running is a lot of work for very little benefit, and you will end up with two different URLs for accessing thier email (internal/external)

FIM / PCNS / OLSync

This has got to be one of the hardest things to setup once you have it working back away and leave it alone - Do a bare metal recovery backup on this box so you can recover easily should it fail.

First Time Sync

When doing your sync for the first time the accounts will be created but the passwords will not, you will need to go through a complete password change cycle in order for PCNS to inform FIM to the inform OLSync

Split Domain

If you plan to use a different domain on live@edu for your email instead of the one used internally then you will need to add your external domain to your AD Domains & Trusts as a UPN Suffix and then update all of your internal user account to use the new suffix otherwise your OLSync will fail with a very unhelpfull message.

I am currently doing all of our migration documentation for this school we just completed so as I go through this I will update this thread with more pearls of wisdom.

In the meatime any questions fire away
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 2nd March 2012 at 03:19 PM.

Thank Post
    But single sign on sounds promisng if they have implemented it now, can yhou polint me in right direction please?
    "Federated" SSO has not been rolled out to Live@edu. The SSO experience, along with user provisioning and password syncing remain unchanged.

The new technologies (ADFS, DirSync, etc.) only apply to Office 365 for education which is not yet widely available.

"If it ain't broke, don't fixt it" is a good way to view your current ILM installation - unless there's a burning desire to rebuild it all under FIM, I'd leave it alone for now!

5. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

RabbieBurns (3rd March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    FIM / PCNS / OLSync

This has got to be one of the hardest things to setup once you have it working back away and leave it alone - Do a bare metal recovery backup on this box so you can recover easily should it fail.
    I'd be interested to hear your feedback on this - we've got some documentation which breaks down how to configure this into some simple steps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    We currently have a centrally hosted Exchange 2007 service from the LEA.
    Centrally hosted as opposed to your own Exchange might be a sticky point (that's been overlooked in most responses).

If time is short and account syncing, integrated passwords aren't that essential you can copy mailboxes to live@edu without OLsync etc. via a Staged Migration where you create the users in live@edu via a CSV, then use the ECP to migrate them via a similar CSV. But you need that Exchange 2007 system to be nicely configured for Outlook Anywhere (RCP/HTTP) with a cert from a recognised CA and you need an account that's got Full Access to all your source Exchange 2007 mailboxes. ["recognised" roughly means any CA that MS have in the Windows cert store by default or via their root cert updates]

Disclaimer: There is a live@edu Service Update in progress that promises a new improved migration dashboard that might turn up sometime (ETAs for updates are not very predicatable). There is no reason to think the new features will break what has been possible to date, but until I've used it...
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 3rd March 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Thank Post
    I've just recently setup FIM, PCNS and SSO for live@edu
    At the start it might seem hard to setup, but actually it's rather easy and there is lots of good documentation to follow. I'm happy to try help if you have any questions.

I find SSO very useful, especially for students. Since all email accounts are created from AD using FIM and olsync everyone's email account name is NetworkLoginUsername@domain.whatever
    Very easy for all to remember when using email outside of school, plus having PCNS to sync the passwords makes it even easier. It’s especially good for students as it stops them 'pretending' they've forgot their school email and password to get out of lessons.
    You can add dns entries so Outlook auto discovers the settings when setting up an Outlook profile. This is good for staff that have laptops because they can easily setup outlook themselves and use the same application in and outside of school.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was going to post about it in the w8 thread but ill post here first. Have you tried w8 using the liveID? How does that work for user based group policies and mapped drives etc? Or does it not give them any of that and just their skydrive?
    Works really well. They get lots of rights to do things but I am sure you will be able to change this behaviour. So glad we went Live@edu now instead of Google.

I don't see any need to map drives if they have a skydrive link. Surely thats the point of it?

Its an exciting future anyway

Thank Post
    SkyDrive integration is one of Microsoft's trump cards over Google, tbh it could've been done with Windows 7 but it's most likely been held back to give 8 a killer feature

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    SkyDrive integration is one of Microsoft's trump cards over Google, tbh it could've been done with Windows 7 but it's most likely been held back to give 8 a killer feature
    There's an MS blog somewhere that talks about a SkyDrive for Desktop in the works, which adds it into Explorer on Vista and Win7.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    There's an MS blog somewhere that talks about a SkyDrive for Desktop in the works, which adds it into Explorer on Vista and Win7.
    theres a 3rd party app that works pretty well that does it.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/305...?tag=pdl-redir

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    I'd be interested to hear your feedback on this - we've got some documentation which breaks down how to configure this into some simple steps.
    I'd love some documentation if you have it please.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    You can also just map a drive letter to your skydrive

Ben

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    @jamesbmarshall it needs full blown SQL server?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread