+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, live@edu in Technical; We have finally completed our migration to Live@edu over this week. Are there any other large secondarys who've made the ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have finally completed our migration to Live@edu over this week. Are there any other large secondarys who've made the move?

All teachers, staff and students are now using exchange online from Outlook 2010 client or webmail.

Its been a great success so far, very happy with the upgrade.
    Last edited by zag; 8th July 2011 at 10:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    makes a lot of sense. Cheers.

On a side note, and unrelated to this thread completely, but what is all this 'academy' speak i hear of. Where I grew up in scotland, most of our state schools for seniors were called 'blah blah academy'
    basically there are three types of state schools:

1) Academies
    2) Schools converting to academies
    3) Schools not yet converted to academies

Thank Post
    Anyone got any tips on Shared Address Space ?

Want to move students over and leave staff on site but having no luck! Here what I've tried!

Shared Address Space with On-Premises Relay

Created Accepted Domain on Exchange 2007 (on site)
    Created Send Connector
    Added servers external IP to FOPE
    Added shared address space to cloud accepted domains
    Create test user in cloud (it can send fine)
    configured the test user to accept from both domain test@live.domain.com & test@domain.com

Any other pointers?

I must be doing something wrong!

Regards
    Matt

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is there an easy way to delete a specific email over multiple mail boxes?
    Last edited by zag; 9th February 2012 at 01:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @MattGibson

The way I have done it is I have staff on our on-premise exchange with user@maindomain.edu and a local exchange account

I have students on Live@edu with user@students.maindomain.edu . This students.maindomain.edu is the one registered for live@edu

What I did was add maindomain.edu as an accepted domain within live@edu, and even with closed campus enabled the two domains can email each other. I didnt have to add the students.maindomain.edu as an accepted domain within Exchange locally

I also modified a poweshell script which would parse a CSV file which would create a live@edu account for the staff, but a liveID only, so they can login to skydrive etc using their normal on premis email addresses, but keep their existing mailbox on premis. I use ILM so passwords are synced for both students and teachers (and I since figured out how to get ILM to do the teacher liveIDs too)

Let me know if you want me to share the script + a sample csv, also have a look at my how-to guide i posted somewhere in this thread when I set it up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Is there an easy way to delete a specific email over multiple mail boxes?
    Yes if you're happy in powershell-land then the cmdlet is search-mailbox and there's a page with detail on technet:Search For and Delete Messages from Users' Mailboxes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Afternoon people,

A bit late to the party here but what is the current opinion on live@edu? I'm coming to the conclusion that due to issues we have seen in the LEA over the past three weeks that moving certain services to the cloud is a good option.

We currently have a centrally hosted Exchange 2007 service from the LEA. Staff and pupils have mailboxes which are set at 2Gb. When new people enter the school they are provisioned using AD Provisioning in SIMS - this sets up their AD account, their mailbox and their Moodle account. Some staff have large mailboxes. When we log into the centrally hosted Sharepoint Portal we are SSO'ed into the mail and Moodle.

So the idea of moving email over to the cloud has reared it's head. live@edu seems like a good idea - but so does Google Mail (for Education?) - based on the current service which I have outlined above will live@edu do this for us? How integrated could I make it and how much would I have to ask the LEA to do? I'm not sure they will be happy or will help at this moment in time.

From reading Edugeek today it all sounds great - but in theory what are the logistics like? Can I migrate current Exchange mailboxes? Can passwords be migrated? Does SSO work? Argh - so many questions.

Look forward to reading the documents I've found so far and any replies on here,

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Yes you can migrate from from on premises exchange to live@edu you can also split it and have some onesite and some in the cloud.

Automatic provisioning and integrated password change can be done but looks to be a complete pain to do and SSO can be setup as well.
    @ICTNUT has done a fair bit on this lately

Ben

Thank Post
    Yes you can migrate from from on premises exchange to live@edu you can also split it and have some onesite and some in the cloud.

Automatic provisioning and integrated password change can be done but looks to be a complete pain to do and SSO can be setup as well.

Ben

Thank Post

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @garethedmondson you can use ILM to automatically provision accounts from AD but it takes a bit of setting up, and costs a little bit. Its set and forget though, once its all done you dont need to go back to it at all.

not sure about how to migrate the existing mailboxes but yes it is completely possible

passwords cant be migrated per se but you can enable password sync, and password changes are synchronised, again this is done by ILM.

SSO not really, once they log in to windows, they need to then log in again to windows live.

You can however link live@edu to moodle which is good.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @garethedmondson the Automated Provisioning/Password Sync and SSO isn't that difficult - the UK Live@Edu team have some good resources on doing this (which i'll share if you want).

You'll need a server to do it on with FIM, IIS and SQL licences - i would avoid ILM now as FIM is the same product but will be supported for longer.
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 2nd March 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    @garethedmondson you can use ILM to automatically provision accounts from AD but it takes a bit of setting up, and costs a little bit. Its set and forget though, once its all done you dont need to go back to it at all.

not sure about how to migrate the existing mailboxes but yes it is completely possible

passwords cant be migrated per se but you can enable password sync, and password changes are synchronised, again this is done by ILM.

SSO not really, once they log in to windows, they need to then log in again to windows live.

You can however link live@edu to moodle which is good.
    If you were setting it up now you would use FIM and PCNS to do the creation and sync bit.

SSO by passing through the users current credentials is certainly doable via the SSO tools that are provided by live@edu with no additional logging on required.

However if you go the SSO route just think of all the people who'll never be able to remember their username or password at home because it happens automagically within school.

Ben

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh we found that people actually like to type it in at school as its consistant with using it at home as well.

Whats really interesting is you can sign into windows 8 with the live ID. Maybe we could remove all local logins in the future

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @plexer but surely if they have logged into the school machine, its the same password then for live@edu if you are syncing passwords?

I opened a support ticket in march 2011 and asked about SSO and this was the reply

If you want to using AD authentication with SSO, we could use SSO in Office 365 which is the next version of Live@edu in the future.
    so i guess the future is now if they have implemented it. I will re-open a ticket.

So is there a management agent for FIM now? I wonder if its worth upgrading as the only 2008 Server I have left is my ILM server I wouldnt mind getting it up to 2008R2.

But then again, if it aint broke dont fix it.. its been working fine since I first set it up in feb2010 I dont really want to make any more work for myself..

But single sign on sounds promisng if they have implemented it now, can yhou polint me in right direction please?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread