+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Fault reporting in Primary Schools in Technical; I work in primaries and have tried to implement a standard way of fault reporting via a simple fault sheet ...
    Thank Post

Fault reporting in Primary Schools

I work in primaries and have tried to implement a standard way of fault reporting via a simple fault sheet in the staff room but different schools always want their own method, either in a book or as an online spreadsheet. I'm just wondering how other techs in Primary schools do it? What would you like to see compared to what you have currently got etc?

Thank Post
    Well, I've tried to implement a book, a sheet, an online thing (Spiceworks) .. to be honest .. no matter what you put in place, they won't use it and will just find you when they know you're in .. lol ..

If you work in a few then I would suggest something like an online helpdesk if at all possible then you can say that you will use that to prioritise your work between your schools etc, which might actually get some response then ..

Thank Post
    I work accross 4 primaries and when I started I thought about doing an online fault report sheet, was told "that will not work"...they were right, even trying them to fill in a fault report book does not work, best I've found so far is a white board and dry marker, so things can be just jotted down and I mark it off when its done. Know its not much diferent from a book but it just seesm to work. Other than that its the usual catch me in a corridor or a child is sent to report the problem and I mark it down. Can't see much point in being fussy over what works with staff, just rather get on with fixing the problems etc,,,thats what I'm paid to do after all and we all get along just fine as I'm allowed to manage the jobs myself no matter how they are reported.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SWGfL is currently rolling out Merlin - an online Portal. I'm currently struggling to gt to grips with finding anything that Merlin might be useful for and am left wondering if an online fault reporting this might be a function I could set up to run through it. On the other hand under the whelter of all other schemes being rolled out to teachers at present I'd be surprised if 5% of mine have mastered logging onto Merlin yet so that's probably a non starter

Thank Post
    I work at Garstang high as senior tech, but as part of my job I deal with primary schools in the area (about 30 on books, 15 regular use me) and I very quickly found dealing with the schools office staff and a simple book best.

Or get them to email me the problem they are having, add a note on google cal so i can prep b4 i go to the school.
    Last edited by AWicher; 26th February 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Thank Post
    no matter what you put in place, they won't use it and will just find you when they know you're in .
    Amen

Its not a technology problem - its a human one

regards

Simon
    (I look after 7 primaries at the moment but have worked in 13 and they are all the same )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Amen

Its not a technology problem - its a human one

regards

Simon
    (I look after 7 primaries at the moment but have worked in 13 and they are all the same )
    Indeedy .. as per my signature .. I find it's the CTK Interface .. lol ..

Thank Post
    In my previous job a member of staff - usually the IT coordinator or head of IT at the schools I visited would gather a list togeather for me to carry out whenever I got there, many would also say take a look in the book if you get time etc - most of their list would have been sourced from the more important entrys in the book or whatever system they had internally.

I'm now working for one of the schools I used to support on a fortnightly basis, I tell staff to email me or it dosen't get done, this works well on our prep site but the staff at our pre prep still try to catch me whenever I'm there but I'm sure I'll manage to convert them at some point

Thank Post
    When I worked at 2 different schools, a fault book in the ict suite worked the best. But now I'm just at one school usually a child appears with a note or a tearful teacher appears or both

I've thought about an online reporting system, but as alot of staff's problems seem to be log on issues that would make it pointless

Thank Post
    I work in 8 Primaries and i have an excel spreadsheet on the network, all staff have a shortcut to it on their desktops. it took some time to change habits but now they all use it and it works very well. i had to be quite tough for a while and not do any jobs that "were not" on the jobsheet - now they all use it.

Thank Post
    I've got 12 primaries mostly with an a4 fault sheet and that seems to work best for me. I go get it when I walk in then if staff stop me they have to put it on the log - saves soooo much stress and frustration. I put it in the staff room too cos if they're gonna have a moan that's where it'll be done, over a brew! I leave a note addressing each fault before I leave that way I don't have to interrupt teachers and they still get feedback

I have some books still in my stubborn schools and they're just a right mess, all scribbled out and torn pages it's difficult to even see what's what sometimes. I found the local spreadsheet thing ok but if the network share or something had gone down and everyone waits for me to fix it then I get backlogged. Nah I belive in the KISS method. We used to use an online fault log but it was taking ages to fill it in both for the bit the staff did and mine so we binned it.

Incidentally I know this is off topic but how many people work for other companies and how many are self employment in the primaries area? I'm pretty sure the contracts for a fortnightly are usually between 2k - 3k so just wondering about salaries etc for those with only a few schools.

Thank Post
    I used to work for an external company visiting various types of school all over the country often on a weekly/fortnightly or monthly basis, I believe the cost to the school worked out to about £200 per visit for 6-7 hours a time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    I believe the cost to the school worked out to about £200 per visit for 6-7 hours a time.
    Sounds about right

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Sounds about right
    Actually...thinking about it that's cheap! I think ours is about £200 for 3 hours

Thank Post
    i had to be quite tough for a while and not do any jobs that "were not" on the jobsheet
    I think you may be deluding yourself (or your very very tough )

Just as an exercise and without doing anything different - do an actual tally of work done vs jobs on spreadsheets for a week.

And also count the number of incidents where they come up to you with a request and you've made them go and put it on the spreadsheet before your do it

And also note whether this person was the headteacher, the bursar or a member of the teaching staff

(or have you only been in the job since Christmas )

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast