+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Fault reporting in Primary Schools in Technical; A book with a brightly coloured front cover is the most favoured one here. I've thought about implementing a spreadsheet ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A book with a brightly coloured front cover is the most favoured one here. I've thought about implementing a spreadsheet with relevant shortcuts but if their computer doesn't work, it's fairly pointless

No system will ever work though, and every time I turn up to a school, before even getting to the fabled book to find what I need to do, there's usually 2 or 3 staff members come up "Ooh, I know I'm meant to right it in the book but as you're here..."

Thank Post
    Oh boy... my world in a nutshell...

I've got a zendesk account which I keep updated with information about visits, rescheduling, etc... but the problem, as noted already is the biological interface.

In each school I've instituted a book for reporting problems... Each is an A4 sheet with some basic information:
    - name
    - date/time
    - class
    - problem (computer, printer, software, account - circle one)
    - error message if any
    - etc...

At bare minimum this MUST get filled in, or nothing happens.. I got all the headteachers to sign off on this before I even bothered trying it out.

Beyond that I introduced a few key teachers and/or staff to the online helpdesk with the hope that they would pass on the details in the forms and/or report their own problems using the helpdesk.

It's had mixed results to be honest.

One school uses it religiously and I'll get a helpdesk ticket within a matter of hours, while another has more or less abandoned it to the "Ah, I've been looking for you!" approach because the head is not following through (meeting pending).

Either way, one thing to make clear with anything like this is that:
    a) the sooner you know about the problem, the sooner you can fix it
    b) the more detailed the problem, the more likely you'll fix it during the next visit
    c) advance notice means the opportunity to order in replacement parts, etc...

Bottom line, communication = a quick fix... Waiting to grab me in the corridor = frustration for all concerned and a long wait.

It doesn't always work but I'm hitting about a 50% win/lose on this now so it's better than nought... and staff are catching on to the fact that recorded problems = working computers...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    One school has A4 fault sheets that are kept in a tray right next to my own tray. My boss started sending back any fault reports on bits of paper and now they do fill them in properly...but...most just catch me in the corridor. I keep a log of what I have done but no one has ever looked at it in 8 years.
    In the other school, I instigated a fault sheet - but they don't use it.
    However, both schools are beginning to use email to report faults, which is a big advance, so maybe we are going in the right direction

Thank Post
    I have tried a few different things like online reporting and books but nothing beats a simple email to let me know of their troubles.

RTi

Thank Post
    I know this is OT but.. how are you guys that work for multiple primaries employed?

been working for an EAZ for the past 9years covering upto 10 primaries.. but now looking at moving on.. and being employed directly by 4 schools.. i'll have a seperate contract with each one... but a single payslip.. i dunno.. just something bothering me about having 4 part-time jobs..

Thank Post
    We have a system that works in quite a few primarys we are at. A fault folder with sheets for name date and problem(also comuter ID) Then a space for technicians actions and also inital and date.

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I work for three primaries and have implemented an online helpdesk at each. Previously each used a book (complete nightmare).

I think that key to getting it to work is to get SMT on board by explaining the benefits. First up I pointed them to Becta FITS which specifies the use of a helpdesk and all the benefits. As all the schools are working toward the ICT Mark they were receptive to the idea. I then put out a simple to follow guide for the staff on how to use the helpdesk and outlining the benefits for them.

At two schools this worked well from the start, one is a work in progress and staff are quite resistant. People are coming round as they realise that jobs submitted to the helpdesk are dealt with more quickly than the ones that are shouted across a corridor full of noisey kids (that generally go out of my head as I am following up the properly submitted jobs).

Of course you need to retain some common sense; I just got grabbed by a member of staff whose projector wasn't working and was in a panic, I didn't insist he logged the job on the helpdesk before having a look

Thank Post
    "Base" school (which was originally my only school): they track me down . My other 3 schools: book that they are supposed to fill in, but ends up with odd bits of paper and "I haven't put it in the book..." requests. I generally put those on a low priority unless they are actually urgent and the staff are finally working that out.

Quote Originally Posted by RTi View Post
    I know this is OT but.. how are you guys that work for multiple primaries employed?

been working for an EAZ for the past 9years covering upto 10 primaries.. but now looking at moving on.. and being employed directly by 4 schools.. i'll have a seperate contract with each one... but a single payslip.. i dunno.. just something bothering me about having 4 part-time jobs..
    3 primaries: same LEA so one payslip.
    1 primary: same LEA, but much better pay so I have to do that as self employed.

Sounds like you're in the first category. I don't see anything to worry about as long as you're basically doing "full time" hours and are getting the same rate of benefits (pension, holidays etc).

9. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

RTi (1st March 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12