+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Photocopiers in Technical; In the school i work at the majority of staff are using their printers as glorified photocopiers, in part because ...
    Thank Post

Photocopiers

In the school i work at the majority of staff are using their printers as glorified photocopiers, in part because they believe the photocopying charges for B&W and Colour are more than putting it through their department printers, i would like to know if fellow edugeeks are willing to share what their schools charge per A4 page for both B&W and Colour ours are currently 2p for B&W and 20p for Colour.

Thank Post
    "glorified photocopiers"

SAME here

We have a repro lady who does stuff for them but they hardly ever use the facility they just print 30 copies off with out thinking of the cost

The problem lies in lack of planning on the teachers part that is where i am trying to tackle the glorified photocopiers problem.

Thank Post
    I have tackled this problem head on - with Papercut. For the most part, it has worked - they can't print off whole class sets. One department thought they'd try and get round this by breaking the print jobs into smaller chunks, which was also stopped - the policy from the top is to do all repro through the copiers as it's much cheaper.

Thank Post
    I don't have the exact figures to hand, but I think we decided high volumes of black and white were a whole magnitude of cost cheaper on a photocopier.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have it set up differently here - departments pay for their own printers, and their own toners if they wish to have that convenience. Otherwise they can all use the central copiers, without a charge to their depts.

We get charged 3.9p per colour, and 0.33p per mono on our main copiers, compared to running costs of anything between 5p and 40p per sheet for normal printers around the school. The majority of printing, therefore, is done on the copiers!

Thank Post
    I've found that its partly down to lazyness and also due to staff knowing that copying has a cost attached to it per page where as printing dosen't usually... other than the cost of toner which they often don't know anyway.

We've also implimented print accounting via papercut, it immediatly helped us to spot the few teachers that were hammering our printers(paid for by the IT Dept at the time!) We plan in future to start billing departments based on figures from Papercut

Thank Post
    Thatís what it mainly comes down to lack of planning one of the teachers that i car share with admitted this and also because of the convenience of having a printer right next to them. I have just introduced some print management software to manage and control printing and as you say to get people thinking about printing but itís caused a really issue with staff.

Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    "glorified photocopiers"

SAME here

We have a repro lady who does stuff for them but they hardly ever use the facility they just print 30 copies off with out thinking of the cost

The problem lies in lack of planning on the teachers part that is where i am trying to tackle the glorified photocopiers problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ticker View Post
    Thatís what it mainly comes down to lack of planning one of the teachers that i car share with admitted this and also because of the convenience of having a printer right next to them. I have just introduced some print management software to manage and control printing and as you say to get people thinking about printing but itís caused a really issue with staff.
    Awwwwwww poor staff they have to think about what they are printing now........

Thank Post
    Bar for ICT dept and Heads of Year, depts have to pay for their own cartridges and paper, and even if they want a new printer they have to pay but it still doesn't stop them. Considering in a 12 month period we spent nearly 14k on cartridges across the whole school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    I've found that its partly down to lazyness and also due to staff knowing that copying has a cost attached to it per page where as printing dosen't usually... other than the cost of toner which they often don't know anyway.

We've also implimented print accounting via papercut, it immediatly helped us to spot the few teachers that were hammering our printers(paid for by the IT Dept at the time!) We plan in future to start billing departments based on figures from Papercut

Thank Post
    On the whole I agree with all the above, but don't forget that there are other issues. In a science lab, the teacher can't leave to go the to copiers leaving the kids. Secondly, a teacher's time doesn't come cheaply. A walk down 3 flights of stairs and back vs 20 prints...

Thank Post
    We have the exact same problem here. I brought in papercut to track printing from september and am just about to inform departments how much they would have been billed if I had charged since then. We will then bill departments for printing from april (with financial year) in the same way as reprographics does.

I actually overheard a teacher compaining to our repro tech that the toner in the staff room was out of toner and that she had to come and get stuff photocopied!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    On the whole I agree with all the above, but don't forget that there are other issues. In a science lab, the teacher can't leave to go the to copiers leaving the kids. Secondly, a teacher's time doesn't come cheaply. A walk down 3 flights of stairs and back vs 20 prints...
    why would the science teacher have to leave if he/she had planned the lesson and resources needed before hand.

are you a teacher ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    This is why teachers have PPA time, and get long holidays - because they're expected to plan in advance...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This is why teachers have PPA time, and get long holidays - because they're expected to plan in advance...
    Spot on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmd.exe View Post
    We have the exact same problem here. I brought in papercut to track printing from september and am just about to inform departments how much they would have been billed if I had charged since then. We will then bill departments for printing from april (with financial year) in the same way as reprographics does.

I actually overheard a teacher compaining to our repro tech that the toner in the staff room was out of toner and that she had to come and get stuff photocopied!
    Exactly what we're doing here down to tracking them since September and charging them in April

Just started using the papercut client tool to more accurately track people in multiple departments. People got a bit of a shock when the tool started indicating the print cost!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast