+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Saving Audacity Projects in Technical; Our students are trying to use Audacity for ICT work to create radio commercials, however, when trying to save Audacity ...

Thank Post

Saving Audacity Projects

Our students are trying to use Audacity for ICT work to create radio commercials, however, when trying to save Audacity Projects, it is saying the file destination is full, or they do not have write permissions. This I would accept, but there is 120Gb of free space and the students have full control over their home directories.

According to the Audacity forums, the problem has been rectified in 1.3.10, however, that is the version we are using and it is still showing the error, so I am a bit confused.

has anyone else experienced the issue and if you have, how have you rectified it?!

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Are you using a local install of audacity? I'm getting a similar problem from a local install because what it seems to do is save lots of ridiculously large files for all recordings in a temp directory on the c drive (That students definately can't write to). Try an Admin log in or try putting it on a network drive and allowing the students modify rights. What would be handy was if Audacity didn't find it necessary to save these file or at least delete them when finished with.
    I'm bit annoyed with the course content for this as well as they are told to save as uncompressed .wav files which in some case instantly fills their quota.

3. Thanks to cromertech from:

Pumaedition (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    it is indeed a local install of Audacity. It does work with an admin log-in, and very very occasionally works with a student login, but is as rare as rocking horse manure!

I didn't know they had to be uncompressed .wav files, but our students don't have a quota, so it they *should* be ok with that, as long as they dont hang around on there for too long!

I will experiment installing on the network and seeing what happens. Is there a specific place that Audacity tries to save the temporary files (eg. the installation directory)

Thank Post
    You got a test machine? You can try using Filemon to find out where its writing and give permissions to the kids. Or you can just take an educated guess and give them permissions to the appropriate part "documents and setting" folder, or the audacity program files folder.

If that cures it go from there.

Thank Post
    went for an install on the server....and instant success! The students can now save .aup files. Just need to test the load times etc with a full class loading it, which is where the next problem lies...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread