+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, I'm after a print manager program... in Technical; ...With these specific requirements: The ability to use a proximity cards/authentication system A Client piece of software that works ok ...
    Thank Post

I'm after a print manager program...

...With these specific requirements:

The ability to use a proximity cards/authentication system
    A Client piece of software that works ok on windows 7 and just displays the users credits and warnings. (without extra cost for paying for the client software!)
    The ability to redirect printing of certain sizes/page numbers to reprographics
    Email notification for departments so we can charge each department and give them a details report as to what they were charged for.

As well as all the other usual gubbins included in a print management system, those though are the most needed requirements.

Currently we use Print manager plus but from experience is slow and pretty basic

I've looked around the papercut website today, looks like it does most things we want but i need some opinions/other recommendations before i decide on anything

Thank Post
    Well I was going to recommend papercut, but noticed you're already looking at it

Thank Post
    Safecom?

Thank Post
    I would highly recommend Papercut. We have been using it here for 4 years now and it's never let us down

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiesev View Post
    I would highly recommend Papercut. We have been using it here for 4 years now and it's never let us down
    Anything you can point out in particular you like about it?

Also has anyone here got any experience with staff and proximity cards?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    ...With these specific requirements:

The ability to use a proximity cards/authentication system
    A Client piece of software that works ok on windows 7 and just displays the users credits and warnings. (without extra cost for paying for the client software!)
    The ability to redirect printing of certain sizes/page numbers to reprographics
    Email notification for departments so we can charge each department and give them a details report as to what they were charged for.

As well as all the other usual gubbins included in a print management system, those though are the most needed requirements.

Currently we use Print manager plus but from experience is slow and pretty basic

I've looked around the papercut website today, looks like it does most things we want but i need some opinions/other recommendations before i decide on anything
    Hello, Where will you use these cards to authenticate? If you wish to authenticate at a MFD and were looking at papercut then you need to look at papercut MF. If you are UK based then google for a local MF dealer such as:
    Papercut NG and Paperut MF Print and Copy Control from Portrayal Ltd
    PaperCut MF
    PaperCut MF Select Technology – Custom MFD Solutions – Call us on (0) 1256 246970
    etc.
    From my understanding the type of cards you have will limit to what type of system you can have but.

papercut does everything you have said above, but automatic printer redirection is not that easy due to different drivers etc have a read of this PaperCut KB | Does PaperCut support printer redirection based on rules? or look at "find me/follow me" printing.

I have used papercut before (at home in a test setup and at a local lawyers office) got to say it is pretty good.
    But as always evaluate pcounter and equitrac but i expect you will find papercut easist to use and probably the cheapest options as well.
    i suggest you google papercut mf and give some of the companies a call.
    Last edited by fiona_b; 24th February 2010 at 01:26 PM.

Thank Post
    pcounter is a very good option.

Thank Post
    opinions on uniflow please? and any idea on how much it costs?

Thank Post
    opinions on uniflow please? and any idea on how much it costs?
    Uniflow seem's pretty good but it did used to cost a silly amount of money no idea on costs now.You are are also locked into canon copiers instead of having the freedom to change copiers or add different makes/models as time goes on (for example perhaps a Sharp or KM machine will better suit the repographics dept.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiona_b View Post
    Uniflow seem's pretty good but it did used to cost a silly amount of money no idea on costs now.You are are also locked into canon copiers instead of having the freedom to change copiers or add different makes/models as time goes on (for example perhaps a Sharp or KM machine will better suit the repographics dept.)
    Seems i might not have a choice in the matter, i personally believe that papercut is the solution we need, papercut without a doubt covers all the issues and would allow us the most scope on what we can do with the system but sadly im not the ultimate decision maker and it seems the ultimate decision maker has been brain washed by a canon partner company and appears to firmly believe it is the best option without even accepting that there are other options out there! /rant

GOD IM STRESSED RIGHT NOW

Thank Post
    were going to go for papercut in the near future, there is a 40 day trial on the its website ITS - Info Technology Supply Ltd, free trials, essential IT solutions for your organisation, Mirtrak, PaperCut NG, PaperCut MF, PaperCut ChargeBack, Faronics Power Save, Faronics Deep Freeze, LanSchool , need a new server first, our print server is an old beast.

Thank Post
    Anything you can point out in particular you like about it?

Also has anyone here got any experience with staff and proximity cards?
    We've got experience of both, we're currently using Papercut MF - started with NG but upgraded when we wanted to start using proximity cards.

We had a little bother getting one variety of proximity card reader to work with the others as one read the cards in decimal and the others read in hexadecimal. We were able to overcome this though with an upgrade of the software on the reader.

Other than that though we've been very happy with our setup.

Also worth mentioning that we trialled Pcounter and Equitrack but found Papercut to be best for our needs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alunmjones View Post
    were going to go for papercut in the near future, there is a 40 day trial on the its website ITS - Info Technology Supply Ltd, free trials, essential IT solutions for your organisation, Mirtrak, PaperCut NG, PaperCut MF, PaperCut ChargeBack, Faronics Power Save, Faronics Deep Freeze, LanSchool , need a new server first, our print server is an old beast.
    You should check out of papercut can be dual language (welsh/english). Also it seems you can get more downloads about MF from the UK distributor here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Print Manager Plus is Papercut but a few versions behind or something like that

Thank Post
    Seems i might not have a choice in the matter, i personally believe that papercut is the solution we need, papercut without a doubt covers all the issues and would allow us the most scope on what we can do with the system but sadly im not the ultimate decision maker and it seems the ultimate decision maker has been brain washed by a canon partner company and appears to firmly believe it is the best option without even accepting that there are other options out there! /rant

GOD IM STRESSED RIGHT NOW
    That is the job of copier sales people and wondering how much profit to make on a deal.
    Canon machines are good solid machines with (normally) very high quality prints.
    did you get quotes for canon machines and its software and compare against other options? if the savings are that big i expect the decision maker couldnt ignore the saving.

You mention card authentication in the first post, make sure you check what cards the canon will use. Some cards cost lots of money and then consider the future perhaps you want to use these cards for catering or access systems? can you easily do that using the canon system or vise versa?
    Another thing is you dont want to be paying 5-10 for a new card for staff or student when they lose it or at the start of a new school year..beware of teh hidden costs and traps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast