1. IT Support find a number of high flesh-tone pictures as part of their pro-active sweep. On a basic check of thumbnails one member of the team spots someone they believe to be a student in the school in the altogether. At this point they stop viewing the images until there is a second person present.
2. They contact the Child Protection Officer who comes up to the office (immediately?)
3. The CPO and the IT Tech check the actual photos and as soon as they look at it they see that it is one of their students. They stop viewing any more pictures.
4. IT Support walk down to the file server and pull the plug as mandated for illegal images of this type. The IT Support team know it is a major issue to pull the plug on the server and the CPO goes with them to inform the head. In the interim they check whose home area they are on and they disable that account (including kicking the user of the system if needed) so the only people who now have access to that area are those with administrative access to the file server. The CPO issues the instruction that all IT Support staff are to log off their computers from that server without accessing any other files immediately. At this point the IT Tech/NM has isolated the original access to the files, limited access to the files by instruction to trusted individuals (ie those who have admin access anyway) but has not changed the permissions or nature of the files.
5. Images are also on backup server- repeat step four.
6. IT Support ring the Police and report the incident. Discussion takes place between the CPO, the Head, the NM and only a few other key staff about the implication of having to
hand over file server, backup server and all tapes.The police are informed of the importance of the server to the normal running of the school and it is in the hands of the police as to what the decision is about they remove the complete server and all backups. As part of this report the police are informed of the identified student and the user whose home area they are in. They will deal with contacting the appropriate parts of social services who will initiate an investigation.
7. The investigation has found that
Johnny in year eight is going out with Jessica in his form. She let him take some "special" pictures of her.
8. Johnny stupidly puts them on his home area.
At this point it may be prudent to rapidly leaving the building before the screams of rage from SMT
, teachers, students, parents, Govenors and anyone else who cares to involve themselves can be heard.
Ignorance it has to be said is bliss.