+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Primary School Servers in Technical; Im just curious to know what sort of server set people run in a primary school with roughly 60 PCs? ...

Thank Post

Primary School Servers

Im just curious to know what sort of server set people run in a primary school with roughly 60 PCs? ie do you run just a server for the Domain controller + file and print and one member server for SIMS or run two domain controllers? or just one server and thats it!
    I was looking at using ESXi and going completely virtual but i am now thinking thats going to be overkill and it adds that extra layer of complexity

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Current primary (48 PCs)
    1 Server running 2003 does everything backing up to NAS in another building miles across the site every night. We don't have a MIS (yet).
    2nd server going in this summer more to upgrade to 2008 than for load-spreading.

Last primary (70 ish PCs)
    1 server running SIMS maintained by LA
    1 server doing everything else maintained locally.

Neither setup installed or speced by me.

Thank Post
    I run a good Curriculum server that handles DHCP, DNS,AD, Printing and most file storage. Then a second Administrator server that also runs DNS and AD and CMIS. Just purchased a good NAS for file storage because of the amount of photos/videos being generated recently.
    I did look at virtualising it all a little while ago but with the extra servers and for what actual application processing we do it just isn't worth it.
    It's a large primary, 740 kids, 60+dektops, 150 laptops plus staff laptops but I find that it's rare that everything is logged on at once. The big thing I have issues with it the amount of rubbish flash based software we have to run on the network and over the internet and so I'm trying to improve out network before anything else. The school was SIPped before I started with some lovely Cisco switches however it's got a 100Mb back bone which just isn't enough when you have that amount of data running over it.

Hope my ramblings help
    Rich

Thank Post
    We just have one DC in our primary schools for about 60 machines. I run one virtual ubuntu server on my server but thats just for our Xibo sign in the entrance.

We have Serco though and its on a seperate mini admin network were not allowed to touch. Dont think they evenhave a server, its just a shared database.

Thank Post
    Admin on separate network, so just curriculum network setup - consists of:

One domain controller for file serving, printing, sophos.
    Wsus installed on workstation set to dual boot server 2003/xp pro.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    2-3 Servers

1 AD/DCHP/DNS/Home Folders/Profiles

1 Sophos EM / WSUS / Shared Folders

1 Internal Webserver / Odds and Ends

Thank Post
    4 servers here

1 for AD/DHCP/DNS - linked to Nas for file serving.
    1 Webserver / wsus server
    1 Exchange server
    1 Mac OS Server

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    I was looking at using ESXi and going completely virtual but i am now thinking thats going to be overkill and it adds that extra layer of complexity
    For a smaller primary school I'd say get one decent physical server and install a bunch of VMs on it (DC, print server, SIMS server, file server). You can just use Windows' built-in virtulisation, it's not that difficult, and each application gets its own dedicated server to use.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have roughly 100 machines to manage.
    Used to have 1 DC to do everything but the strain started to show so I bought a new server to run Hyper-V, virtualised the old server and added a new 2008 R2 DC which everything will eventually move to.
    Currently old Server 2003 is PDC with AD/DNS/DHCP, home folders etc and 2008 R2 is running SCCM.
    Also we have separate SIMS server.

I agree with David above, virtualising is worth it for that size school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    We have roughly 100 machines to manage.
    Used to have 1 DC to do everything but the strain started to show so I bought a new server to run Hyper-V, virtualised the old server and added a new 2008 R2 DC which everything will eventually move to.
    Currently old Server 2003 is PDC with AD/DNS/DHCP, home folders etc and 2008 R2 is running SCCM.
    Also we have separate SIMS server.

I agree with David above, virtualising is worth it for that size school.
    So you are are going to build a new 2008r2 DC on a new server, and put the hyper-v role on that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    So you are are going to build a new 2008r2 DC on a new server, and put the hyper-v role on that?
    Ok so what I have done is buy a new server, installed 2008 R2 and enabled Hyper-V. I then virtualised the old 2003 server and made sure this was all working. Then (as the 2008 R2 Standard with Hyper-V licence allows you have one virtualised instance) I installed a virtual 2008 R2 server and added it to the domain as a DC.

Therefore I have a non-domain 2008 R2 physical server running virtual 2008 R2 and 2003 DCs.

Thank Post
    Ok so what I have done is buy a new server, installed 2008 R2 and enabled Hyper-V. I then virtualised the old 2003 server and made sure this was all working. Then (as the 2008 R2 Standard with Hyper-V licence allows you have one virtualised instance) I installed a virtual 2008 R2 server and added it to the domain as a DC.

Therefore I have a non-domain 2008 R2 physical server running virtual 2008 R2 and 2003 DCs.
    So your 2003 dc is your PDC?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In my schools I just have one DC. A HP Proliant ML115. Great little servers and with 50 + 60 machines around school and around 400 kids it bares the load really well. I've only just finished installing new servers in all my schools. The old ones are going to be turned into Linux servers to run FOG, possibly a second backup site ( I'm paranoid about backups) and anythign else I want to play with.

Thank Post

Just out of interest, how do you back these up? is the file level or backup the complete VM? Do you host the backup drive on the actual physical server?
    Last edited by techie08; 12th February 2010 at 12:49 PM.

Thank Post
    I just run one physical server on cuuric side of each site (7 of them) just as DNS/DHCP/File/Printer server not domain controller.

Admin is separate network with bursar machine maintained by county - no server.

I just do a differential backup of the user data to a USB drive in a different class from the server.

I run VMs on a few servers for FOG (and still got a Win98 VM file server as I havn't finished transferring it to W2k3 yet in one school )

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast