+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Keeping track of all your knowlege in Technical; I am thinking of creating my own blog. Dunno for sure if thats the right way to go. bio......
    bio
    Thank Post
    I am thinking of creating my own blog. Dunno for sure if thats the right way to go.

bio...

Thank Post
    Thanks very much everyone - Am having a look into evernote, and the dropbox-tiddlywiki now.

Thank Post
    Brain the size of a planet...

Thank Post
    Decided this morning to make more effort to write stuff down, with regard to a wiki type thing. I did start using MyWiki a while ago but it's a bit of a PITA to use when you just want to make a quick note .. so I stopped using it.
    A quick search on here threw up this thread and hello Evernote!

I think it is now my 'Wiki' of choice. Simple to use and sync's too
    Thanks to everyone for the Evernote suggestions .

Thank Post
    I posted on the previous page that I used Evernote back in 2010 and still using it now! Perfect.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    I tend to stick stuff on my blog or just remember the google search terms lol.

Ben

Thank Post
    How about using OneNote from Microsoft that comes bundled with Office? I like that fact that you can sync it across your SkyDrive and access it from pretty much any device with the OneNote app.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Google Docs. Everything I need to remember goes in there. Copy and paste, name it something sensible and that's that.

My work stuff is shared with colleagues, so they reap the fruitful bounties of my Googling.

The search is second to none, so I can find a relevant document in no time. I don't even bother filing or organising notes, just stick it in the 'work stuff' folder and the search will pull out the relevant hits. Hasn't failed me yet.

Hint: keep local copies of 'how to fix the internet'
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 4th December 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another Evernote user here. So easy to use and love that I can bring it up on phone or tablet while I'm around the school.

Thank Post
    A few years back I used Windows help system to create a searchable database with pics etc that would work on all Windows computers without any extra software being installed. Today I use Google Keep for quick note taking and a combination of G docs and G sites to share any info.

Thank Post
    Interesting, we are going through this process right now too. Interesting options discussed which we hadn't thought of too.

Thank Post
    At work, we use a wiki at work to keep shared knowledge in. A lot of the info there-in is out of date and there is reluctance by some of us to update it. In the 35 years that I've been in computing, I've always documented everything, so the work that I have done over the two years that I've been at the college are fully documented. As to whether anyone reads it, well that's another story. When I was network manager at the first school I was at, all the knowledge was on a wiki. A few weeks after I left, I received an email from my replacement who wanted to know something. "It's all on the wiki", I replied. "Oh, I deleted that as it was crap", came the reply. "Not crap, you didn't understand the value, and I've forgotten how what you want to know was setup. Ha! Ha! Ha!" I was very pissed off with this school. When I resigned, I said I'd stay if they made me a sensible offer. They said there was no more money available and then promptly advertised my role with a £4K increase.

I also keep a day book, which is basically a notepad full of scribbles. I only throw these away when I leave the job and they prove semi-useful in remembering stuff. I call this my PDA and it's a random access file system

At home, I use a simple text file to document stuff that I want to remember.

For my extensive LP/CD/cassette collection, that is documented using a database system that I wrote myself, that is fully implemented in a 33K Bash script. It's completely transportable (well provided you have Bash) and the data is stored in thousands of flat files. Some are indexes and others data records. I designed most of it on a long haul flight and it has been morphed into two other systems, one for my books and the other for by DVD/VHS tapes. When I was out of work a couple of years ago, I rewrote in Perl/Tk so it now has a proper GUI on it. It's still compatible with the Bash version too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12