+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, PaperCut - Mure users than are licensed in Technical; After the last twenty minutes, I've found a piece of crapness in an unusual place, the usually brilliant PaperCut! It ...
    Thank Post

PaperCut - Mure users than are licensed

After the last twenty minutes, I've found a piece of crapness in an unusual place, the usually brilliant PaperCut!

It seems I've gone over our licenced number of users (haven't had cause to touch it in ages as it just works), quite how I don't know as we've 380ish students and 30 odd staff and a licence for 500 users. It must have picked up some that have left, or something.

But

As we're over licence, the only page it will let me get to on the admin console is the "about" page - it won't let me into the "groups" page to sort it out! G'AHHHHHH!

Quick fix, anyone???

Thank Post
    PaperCut is licensed on the number of user accounts hosted in the PaperCut database - that is the number of users listed in the user-list under the Users section. If this limit is exceeded the system will:

i) Give you over one months warning granting you lots of time to reduce the count if possible. The warning message will display on every admin login during this period. You can also set up the application to automatically email you if/when the license is exceeded. See the Options -> Notifications section.

ii) After the warning time is up, and if the user count has not been reduced, the system will prevent selected administration tasks. Printing and tracking will however continue as normal and you will not lose any data. The reduced functionality will however require you to secure an increased license or reduce your user count. You'll be able to access the Options -> User/Group Sync section to modify user sync settings.
    Does that help? I guess not.

There's other tips here.
    http://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/LicenseExceeded

3. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

BatchFile (9th February 2010)

Thank Post
    aaaaand it's talking to me again

a link to the options | user/group sync page from the page that tells you you're over license and admin functions are restricted wouldn't hurt though, would it?

Anyway, sorted now thanks

Thank Post
    Glad you got it resolved. :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    aaaaand it's talking to me again

a link to the options | user/group sync page from the page that tells you you're over license and admin functions are restricted wouldn't hurt though, would it?

Anyway, sorted now thanks
    maybe drop them an email and put it in as a requested update

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    maybe drop them an email and put it in as a requested update
    No need. I'm a developer at PaperCut and I'll raise it at the next feature review meeting. It's a fair point. The software will give a 40-day warning and this nag screen links to tips (the KB article linked above), however after this period there is little information. The problem is many administrators miss this window as once PaperCut it set up there is often very little need to login.

Software licensing should not get in your way - nothing more frustrating ... now if only I could figure out how to "uninstall" by MS Office license off my old laptop that got trashed so I can install it on my new replacement one :-)

[edit] I thought of one more thing. Tom added a feature a while back where the system will automatically email you when any licensing "issues" are detected. Might be worth setting this up. It's under Options -> Notifications. More information here: http://www.papercut.com/products/ng/...fications.html . PaperCut will need access to an SMTP server. [/edit]

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by papercut; 18th March 2010 at 03:47 AM. Reason: thought of something just after pressing post as usual :-)

8. 2 Thanks to papercut:

BatchFile (18th March 2010), mac_shinobi (18th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papercut View Post
    No need. I'm a developer at PaperCut and I'll raise it at the next feature review meeting. It's a fair point. The software will give a 40-day warning and this nag screen links to tips (the KB article linked above), however after this period there is little information. The problem is many administrators miss this window as once PaperCut it set up there is often very little need to login.

Software licensing should not get in your way - nothing more frustrating ... now if only I could figure out how to "uninstall" by MS Office license off my old laptop that got trashed so I can install it on my new replacement one :-)

[edit] I thought of one more thing. Tom added a feature a while back where the system will automatically email you when any licensing "issues" are detected. Might be worth setting this up. It's under Options -> Notifications. More information here: System Notifications and Emailing . PaperCut will need access to an SMTP server. [/edit]

Cheers,

Chris
    fair enough.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by papercut View Post
    The problem is many administrators miss this window as once PaperCut it set up there is often very little need to login.
    Which is exactly what happpened to me

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread