+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Update Acrobat (not Reader) across a network in Technical; Has anyone cracked updating Adobe Acrobat (not Reader- the Professional version) across a network? We have just had a virus ...
    Thank Post

Update Acrobat (not Reader) across a network

Has anyone cracked updating Adobe Acrobat (not Reader- the Professional version) across a network? We have just had a virus sneak in via a PDF exploit which our AV seems to have caught but not quickly enough to avoid an infection on the PC in question.

I can deploy the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader via MSI (in fact I did this as a matter of routine at my last school) which will upgrade any version from seven or above, but this still leaves a gaping security hole in the shape of Acrobat Professional.

AFAICT you have to visit each machine and update them individually, and then again each time you re-image, plus the updates are incremental so we'll have to sweep four times.

I'd be grateful if anyone could contribute some suggestions before I stop gibbering.

Thank Post
    Well, some good news in that I've found you can slipstream patches onto the MSI with the command
    msiexec /a AcroRead.msi /p <patch-name>
    and I've spent the afternoon messing around with that.

For Adobe Acrobat Professional 9 patched to 9.3.2 the resulting share folder was 1.7GB in size (something I really hesitate to deploy via Group Policy) and the install took 12 minutes when only running on one computer.

What's worse is that, following the installation, clicking on the Adobe Acrobat Professional icon on the start menu took a FURTHER 11 minutes to configure before eventually loading.

I can't possibly deploy that across the network.

I can deploy Reader 9.3.2 relatively quickly and with the EULA pre-accepted using the Acrobat 9 Deployment kit, but the team here aren't keen to lose the premium features of Acrobat Professional and see making the default file association Reader as a step backwards.

What's happening at the moment though is that the scripting install isn't always finishing (staff clicking the cross etc.) and Dreamweaver or Photoshop need to be run before Acrobat for it to be properly registered.

Staff opening attachments from e-mails are then calling us up and complaining it's not working.

Has anyone managed to speed up the deployment of Acrobat Professional 9 (preferably fulled patched as I did) or any advice on how to remove the requirement to run a CS3 component before running Acrobat Professional 8?

There are both security (patch level) and usability issues at stake here.

Thank Post
    Hi guys, having trouble building up the deploy package for this program, the script I got from adobe website was along these lines.

msiexec.exe /i AcroPro.msi INSTALLDIR="c:\program files\Acrobat 10.0" EULA_ACCEPT=NO REGISTRATION_SUPPRESS=YES SUITEMODE=1 TRANSFORMS=en_US.mst INSTALLLEVEL=101 AS_DISABLE_LEGACY_COLOR=1 IGNOREAAM=1 /qn

which does nothing. just wondered if you had a script I could use to deploy the full acrobat x product. I have deployed the rest of CS6 no problem but this one doesn't seem to want to work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity, why have you got "EULA_ACCEPT=NO" in there?

Surely, if the EULA is denied it won't install.

Also, old thread is old.

Thank Post
    This is what the example script says on their website, if changed to yes it mentions that it needs to be run with switches which to me look like they are in the script? the /qn part.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread