+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Future plans for school IT? in Technical; My vision for our place... Implement a quality Moodle VLE portal in terms of design and content. Our Moodle is ...
    Thank Post
    My vision for our place...

• Implement a quality Moodle VLE portal in terms of design and content. Our Moodle is going to be doing website duties as well to meet my vision of a complete student portal, social networking communication - see Redbridge Institute of Adult Education VLE
    • Make use of Live@Edu and other web 2.0 \ cloud tools in teaching (already using Live IDs to authenticate into Moodle and plug into Outlook Live so going well there Just waiting for Office web apps to complete the jigsaw
    • More use of multimedia in teaching, Flip Mino HD camcorders, audio recordings etc all shared via Moodle \ YouTube
    • Server virtualisation via VMWare \ HP in 2011 (end of current server lifecycle)
    • More mobile technology, recently bought in NC10s \ portable projectors \ 3G sticks for Community Learning
    • If VLE takes off, Ruckus wireless to encourage student participation in non-IT suite classrooms
    • Server 2008 (after virtualisation) and keeping an eye on 7, although this depends more on the likes of ECDL etc keeping up on their certs, dual boot imaging methods anyone???
    • Document everything once things settle down
    • Increased network monitoring and management, get back to my SCOM \ SMS > SCCM upgrade testing once I've got the Moodle development sorted
    • Test green \ virtual technologies for possible efficiency savings e.g. nComputing, keep an eye on VDI and so on
    • Starting this summer run a technology roadshow for staff so showcase all the kit available and what it can do. Basically to get the "wow" factor and as a result get more of the kit integrated into the classroom

Unless there's another nasty virus outbreak between now and summer I'm hoping to not need to reimage this year as it's been working nicely this year. Replaced all the desktop hardware last year (was a mental summer in 2009!) so should have more time to play with server \ strategic bits this year.

As you can see there my plans are as much about supporting the technology in teaching as they are about the backend stuff
    Last edited by gshaw; 1st February 2010 at 11:38 AM.

2. Thanks to gshaw from:

reggiep (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    what actually gets put in to action depends on the thoughts and discussions amongst our senior management team, who might have factors to consider that I don't know about.
    Although, thinking about it, we might end up with the move-to-a-web-based-word-processor option kind of by default. It's going to cost money if we want to upgrade to Office 2010 (see separate thread about running Office 2010 over Terminal Services) - at least £10,000, probably nearer £15,000. The default option is to simply stick with what we have, which is a perfectly serviceable Office 2003 that runs on all the machines we want it to. I can then stick something web-based on a server somewhere and let people use it as they wish - give it a couple of years and, hopefully, everyone will be used to the idea of doing work in a web-based applicartion and we'll get away from this idea of shunting files around on USB devices the whole time.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I have now knocked up a decent size document with 20 key points. I have so far.
    • Upgrade Wireless Infrastructure
    • Improve use of Moodle VLE
    • Improve use of school website
    • Introduce remote data backups
    • Introduce Electronic registers
    • Purchase more laptops/notebooks in trolleys
    • Investigate Open source software
    • Introduce managed printing
    • Virtualisation
    • Upgrade workstations to Windows 7
    • Upgrade server 2008 to R2
    • Remote access to users files and shared documents
    • Install windows in the mac suite
    • Electronic Room booking system
    • Give students access to network/internet via their mobile devices
    • Introduce better monitoring of internet users’ activities
    • Monitor staff laptops
    • Explore the possibilities of replacing workstations in school every four years
    • Investigate single sign on for everything
    • Introduce more information to the Plasma in the main reception

Thanks for all the feedback.

Thank Post
    All our work is going to be done round the summer holidays

- Upgrade All Servers 2008
    - Single Network (merge Admin&Curriculum)
    -VLE alternative with parental reporting
    -Workstation on all whiteboards
    -Email options - Stay with Kerio or go to Exchange
    -Upgrade server hardware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Although, thinking about it, we might end up with the move-to-a-web-based-word-processor option kind of by default. It's going to cost money if we want to upgrade to Office 2010 (see separate thread about running Office 2010 over Terminal Services) - at least £10,000, probably nearer £15,000.

--
    David Hicks
    Just found out we're moving to Google for our e-mail. This will include google docs/calendar/etc. This throws the cat amongst the pigeons. It doesn't effect the OpenOffice/MS-Office debate on the desktop in the short term might may have a knock on effect in the 3-6year time frame.

I think we may still end up paying out for MS-Office despite my instance that OpenOffice will do more than we require of an Office suite. Oh-hum.

I think we have to pay out £10k to bring us up to enough licences to run Office 2003. Office 2007/10 will cost us in the region of £13k for an outright purchase and £25k with Software assurance. I think we may go down the route of £10k for enough licenses to run '03 and then introduce a rolling program with software assurance - around £2k per year - to slowly bring us up to 07/10 and beyond standards.

Still, we'll have Google Docs from september to confudle people with - joy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Terry,

Did you note down the date they were looking for pilot schools for the google mail setup?

Ta.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Terry,

Did you note down the date they were looking for pilot schools for the google mail setup?

Ta.

Ben
    Sorry. I'm pretty sure it's March time. I think they're aiming to complete by the start of July (or that's what's in my notes). I think we're going to role our to staff in September, seems daft giving staff new e-mail addy's in June/July then watching them forget them over the summer hols.

Did they mention when the date RM Easymail get's switched off? I remember them saying the contract will be up soon and there woulf be an overlap between the two but don't remember any switch off dates?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Starting this summer run a technology roadshow for staff so showcase all the kit available and what it can do. Basically to get the "wow" factor and as a result get more of the kit integrated into the classroom
    I've been wondering about that myself, since giving an inset on "the digital classroom" (bit of a pants title, I know - sorry!) in which some teachers learnt about things their department owned that they didn't know about, others learned that you don't need an IWB to use Smart Notebook, and still others saw equipment they could really use but didn't know about.

I've always tried to use things like that in my sessions anyway (presenters, gyro mice, RM Tutor, etc) and we do an induction for new staff, but a reminder session for existing staff would definitely be worth considering.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    As for the original question, my future plan looks something like this:

* implement learning platform/VLE
    * increase technology use in classrooms
    * data encryption on removable devices
    * re-introduce rolling replacement program for PCs

Server 2008, Windows 7 and Office 2010 are in there somewhere too, as and when the need arises.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    As for the original question, my future plan looks something like this:

* data encryption on removable devices
    Encryption, nice one I hadn't put that down. Now anyone any suggestions how this can be controlled. At the moment our SMT have encrypted usb sticks that are passworded, but are there tools to control all usb sticks out there?
    Last edited by reggiep; 8th February 2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post

Encryption, nice one I hadn't put that down. Now anyone any suggestions how this can be controlled. At the moment our SMT have encrypted usb sticks that are passworded, but are there tools to control all usb sticks out there?
    I'm up for banning USB and enforcing the use of the VLE and/or Google Docs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm up for banning USB and enforcing the use of the VLE and/or Google Docs
    I think that would be a bit hard to police, wouldn't it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    I think that would be a bit hard to police, wouldn't it?
    Yes and no. Banning USB drives is easy enough, I imagine the challenge lies in ensuring that people start using the VLE rather than just emailing files to and fro.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12