+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, How do you install all windows updates after a workstation rebuild? in Technical; Capture an image that already has had Windows Update manually run - the problem here is i doubt i'm going ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Capture an image that already has had Windows Update manually run - the problem here is i doubt i'm going to end up with one image, more likely it will be 3 or more. I don't want to have to keep refreshing images and potentially damaging the images just to install a couple of updates.
    If you're basing these images on XP, what I would recommend is create a new image per machine. In your case three different machines which isn't a lot (you're lucky).

Install XP SP3, then install the Logistix Post XP SP3 Pack. Run Windows Update and install any additional applications you want part of the image.

Setup WSUS 3.0 which will then install any additional Post XP SP3 Updates as and when they're released in future. This is how I always do things and it works reliably

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    I usually don't find this an issue, Our images are anything from 1 to 12 months old at any given time and they just get picked up by WSUS pretty quickly, so within a day or so they are backup to the current baseline.
    That's the only problem that we have.

We've moved from two separate IT departments into a single and since having a brand new set of images last summer, a lot of changes took place (oh joy!) which require a lot of specific updates and hotfixes for certain packages and programs to work which obviously were not included in the images.

We'd have to wait a couple of days for WSUS to distro the updates or move the computer to a different OU to disable the auto install at a specific time setting to install when I say so, to then log in, install the updates over several reboots to then move it back. By which time, it would have been quicker to log on and run Windows Update several times.....

We have a lot of projects that we want to get up and running so at the moment, we are redesigning the deployment system as well as analysing what is required for the next set of images. This for us is an interim solution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Do the updates usually share common switches for silent installation or do you have to do your homework everytime?
    Microsoft's hotfixes all tend to use the same switches for automating the installation. e.g. /passive /norestart.

If you have a folder full of hotfixes which you have downloaded and want to integrate them into a Windows XP install disc for example you could use a batch file like the one below.

Code:
    @Echo Off
    Echo.
    Echo Slipstreaming Windows XP Post-SP3 Updates
    Echo Please wait...
    FOR %%f IN (*.exe) DO "%%f" /Integrate:C:\XPCD
    Echo.
    Echo Slipstreaming Completed!
    Echo.
    Pause>NUL
    I used to use RyanVMs Update Packs a lot in the past, but it looks like his site is dead now, since his Post-SP3 update pack hasn't been updated in over a year! HFSlip was quite good too, but the original author seems to have lost interest.
    Last edited by Arthur; 1st February 2010 at 12:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you're basing these images on XP, what I would recommend is create a new image per machine. In your case three different machines which isn't a lot (you're lucky).
    I've got about 15 types of hardware and i'm half way through tyring to make a universal sysprep image, I've got at one problem laptop model, and I haven't got to the AMD machines yet. So at the moment I'm just assuming three images...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I've got about 15 types of hardware and i'm half way through tyring to make a universal sysprep image
    I'm currently doing the same myself with the help of this guide. I may just be able to pull it off by using MySysPrep.

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone read the nLite EULA? I just noticed the following in it...

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Just found this via google

Auto Patcher

Windows Update On A Disk | Daily Cup of Tech

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    assuming you're sysprepping your images then as part of the sysprep.inf file you can specify processes you want to run as the machine runs its mini-setup.

The MSDN website has a script Searching, Downloading, and Installing Updates (Windows) which will query either the MS updates site or your WSUS site if you have one (it just uses the default location for updates) and installs all critical updates.

If you run this then your machine is automagically up to date - you don't have to do anything and that always seems like a winning strategy :-)

Thank Post
    I agree with Steve.

I used to keep updating all my images to keep the patches up to date. Now I just have a set of standard images and my WSUS does the rest. Much less work. And of course WSUS is a free download.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12