+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Fire Evacuations using ICT in Technical; Hello Eduivlians, Just wanted to see how you guys hold fire evacuations with the use of ICT . We are ...
    Thank Post

Fire Evacuations using ICT

Hello Eduivlians,
    Just wanted to see how you guys hold fire evacuations with the use of ICT.

We are finding our process has bit of a flaw as we have to print 2 registers off at different periods in the morning. One at 9 am when young learners are at school and another one 3 periods later in the day.

Does anyone have a more effective process than this?

Thank Post
    Would like to know this too. We (primary school) have just moved to electronic registers and fire procedures are a hot topic. We too, print off completed registers morning and afternoon and classes have a board displayed by the main fire exit showing numbers of children in class and anyone absent.

Dave

3. Thanks to djones from:

laputa01 (22nd January 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm going to have excuse you for your 'tepid' pun.

Thank Post
    That's made me chuckle!! I didn't even notice! :-) How much would The Sun pay for that one?!

6. Thanks to djones from:

laputa01 (22nd January 2010)

Thank Post
    We do pretty much the same thing, print out am/pm lists and stick them in a box outside.

Are you looking to automate the process or something else? I guess you could setup a scheduled report via your MIS and then have the resulting file printed to a dedicated printer in a "safe" location near the meeting point at set intervals, obviously ensuring there is always paper and toner in said printer.

I guess its probably one of the few things that are best kept as simple as possible, at least if someones printing it manually each time and putting it in a safe location its definatly getting done, the last thing you need is to find that whatever you have in place failed that day when theres actually a fire.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    back when i was attending high school they had just brought in Electronic Registering for the teachers, Since under Australian law (or something like that) after the rolls are done they become legal documents for 7 years and must be kept. So the school kept their paper registers (Custom made books for the teachers) and teachers had to fill in both, which also gave them something for the likes of evacuations or supply teachers that didn't know how to use the electronic system.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I'm posting in the capacity here of an ex-data manager rather than an employee of Serco.
    What we did, and was agreed by the fire chief, massive school of about 2000 kids, teachers always did electronic registers, roll call and lesson by lesson.
    The fire stuff was checked by teachers doing a head count of the kids in the class they were currently in. When they got to their meeting point (different for each building) they did another one.

Teachers were expected to know who'd gone to the toilet etc and add them onto the expected numbers for when they got to the meeting points.

What this didn't cater for is if anyone happened to be skiving and between classes etc, but then neither would paper registers as the kids would still be missing.

The other bit of failsafe we had is a report on pda's that could be run live, which would give us total numbers in each year, or block or whatever at the time, and that could be checked if felt necessary by totaling the head counts from staff. That's because we had wifi covering all hotspots though.

There was also atleast two people in each meeting point with 2 way radios, and people manning the main routes (outside) to these points with 2 ways aswell. They helped a lot.

Bear in mind if you're printing reports off and sticking them in a box, or sending them to a 'safe' printer the data protection related to printing off who's in and who's not and sending it somewhere to leave it there.

I believe now, a document, if it has to be kept for legalities, in most cases (surely in this case) an electronic copy is perfectly acceptable. Also, whatever you're printing, don't forget you also need to be shredding unless you're choosing to keep it securly.

Just a few ideas there, but each fire plan needs to be tailored to the place really.

Sticking a in too cos i'm feeling a little mischievous.

Thank Post
    Theres a few posts on here already and I seem to remember one saying don't bother as the fire brigade will sweep the school anyway whether all students are accounted for or not.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread