+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, BT adsl broadband in Technical; I have bt broadband running from a adsl modem which connects to my PC via usb. I want to go ...

Thank Post

BT adsl broadband

I have bt broadband running from a adsl modem which connects to my PC via usb. I want to go wireless but just wonder what is the best route. Obviously a wireless router but how would this be set up? phoneline to router, and how do i set up the router to auto dial the number for bt?

Noob alert never done this b4?

Thank Post

Re: BT adsl broadband

Although some wireless routers are better than others, it is relatively simple to do - as long as you get a router with inbuilt ADSL modem.

Basically, you have a cable running from the wall-jack to your router and then any wired devices or wireless devices connect to that. You configure all the magical ADSL settings using a web browser.

You should check that you can get your username, password and other details off BT before purchasing anything.

Everybody will have their own opinions but for what it's worth I have had a bad experience with a couple of Linksys ADSL modems and have vowed never to use them again. In fact, I vowed never to use cheap consumer equipment again so I now use IPCop on an old PC and have an enterprise-class 3COM AP.

Thank Post

We use BT Broadband- but I wasn't aware that it "dialled" any number. All we did to move from the standard BT "modem" was buy a Belkin Wireless ADSL Router and plug the connection cable from that into the Microfilter at the telephone point. We then went through the configuration of the router as normal. The Belkin actually detected most of the standard settings for us, so all we did was put in username and DNS really, and then tell the router whether we wanted WPA or WPA2/WEP and set all those messy things.

If it's broadband (or boredband as my kid calls it) then it's "always on". Those options you get that have to dial up the connection? They are (technical term alert) "naff".

If you need any more help let me know and I will see if I can offer some up.

Paul

Thank Post

The Netgear range of wireless products are a good option for a home environment.

Thank Post

so looking for wireless router with adsl modem, pretty standard,

when we start up windows to connect to bt broadband we have to double click and icon and click connect, dials a number like 0,82 or simialr?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts

The software that installs your usb adsl modem is setup like that so it appears to dial up allthough I assume what it is doing is handshaking with the exchange.

A router with built in adsl modem does this automatically for you and keeps the connection up as long as it is powered up.

Ben

Thank Post

I would go for something link the Netgear DG834G. It detects most of the settings and you should only really need to configure the wireless security and the LAN side of things.

You will obviously need your BT username and password

Thank Post

ive just changed from ntl to a tiscali adsl line,
    needed to go and get a wirless adsl modem.
    most of the ones i found were around £60+ although found a bargin in staples.

linksys, not sure of the model number (sorry its at home) £40, because all the new one that are coming out are 128mb or 108mb, this one was a 54mb

if you not fussed about the wireless transfer speed, ( remember that your internet speed wont be affected, it will only be your computer to computer transfer speed)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

a router is simply a box that manages the internet connection instead of your pc. there are specific settings you need, usually can be obtained from isp website, the settings are the same whatever router you get.
    usually you have your router set to "dial on demand" . usually it "dials" zero in the loosest sense of the word "dialling" to open the line. should be almost instant.

if you get a router from your isp likely it will some crappy never heard of asian cheap as chips brand. There's usually way more help on the net for branded ones you buy yourself. e.g. Linksys, belkin, netgear, 3com etc
    I have a 3com officeconnect. im gonna change to f2s soon cos i can't afford my unlimited 2mb zen internet anymore. its a superb service but i need to save some $$ on monthly bills.

Thank Post

When you do get your wireless router setup, make sure you set the security options as high as possible, use WEP & WPA encryption, if you use WEP alone you are basically still completely vulnerable to attack, and you would be surprised how easy it is to get past WEP encryption, and even more surprised at the amount of crims trying to hack you. also, on passwords, i would use a password 16 characters long with letter and numbers and even salt (full stops, commas etc)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Netgear as have been mentioned already are excellent wirlesss routers for home / soho use.

Thank Post

WEP & WPA encryption
    You can't use both and even if you could there would be note point just use wpa-psk or wpa2-psk if all your equipment and drivers etc... support it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ind13
    ive just changed from ntl to a tiscali adsl line,
    needed to go and get a wirless adsl modem.
    most of the ones i found were around £60+ although found a bargin in staples.

linksys, not sure of the model number (sorry its at home) £40, because all the new one that are coming out are 128mb or 108mb, this one was a 54mb

if you not fussed about the wireless transfer speed, ( remember that your internet speed wont be affected, it will only be your computer to computer transfer speed)
    Don't you mean a wireless adsl router ?

Also I have a linksys wireless router ( wrt54gs ) is the model I have , supposed be slightly faster because of some speed boost thing ( I never did install the drivers on my pc but I mean it works without them and its fast enough sooooooo Ive never bothered with them, at least not yet.

Was just curious if its the same model more or less that you have ?

btw I am with NTL

Thank Post

The speed boost thing is to allow the equipment to send receive at 108mbps i.e twice the 54mbps thing is when your adsl is only say 8mbit at most even a 802.11b wireless device is going to be fast enough to share you Inet connection.

If you are using it to transfer stuff between computers then more speed is nice.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread