+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Convert Vinyl to Digital in Technical; Good evening all - as new member, I am impressed with the breadth and depth of the issues and topics ...

Thank Post

Question Convert Vinyl to Digital

Good evening all - as new member, I am impressed with the breadth and depth of the issues and topics discussed here.

I am seeking help. Following advice from this forum and others, I have started building a means of converting LP's (vinyl records) to digital.

I have phono and receiver, as well as a laptop with a combined microphone/line in (Dell Inspiron 1525).

I have accessed the audio properties and converted the mic input to "line in". The Dell advises me that I have set the sound input to 44,100 khz and a 16 bit sampling rate. I have other options, e.g., 48,000 khz and 24 bit sampling rate.

I have installed Audacity and can get the software to record - problem is, it only records in mono. I have been through all related posts I could find, reviewed the instructions for software, etc and cannot figure out how the get the input recognized as a stereo signal. Yes, the albums are all stereo format.

Anyone have any ideas for me to try?

In advance, thanks for any help.

Thank Post
    Is the jack input just mono? just a thought

3. Thanks to ozzy from:

audiofile (17th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    Is the jack input just mono? just a thought
    Damn, beat me to the punch by .30sec! As ozzy say's, Check the cable - is it a mono only jack?

5. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    I could not determine from the Dell Manual or tech notes if the mic/line in is stereo. The plugs I am using are for two channels, but I don't know about the linein/mic port.

If that port is indeed only mono, then my approach won't work ....... ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanks Ozzy Thanks TMCD35 -

I wonder is there is a USB solution for this - say phono to USB port or say tape out on amp to USB on laptop????? Guess this would be dual RCA type jacks to USB ............. ??

Thank Post
    an external usb device like this with a stereo input might be what your looking forM-Audio MobilePre USB Sound card - 48 kHz - 16-bit let us know how you get on

9. Thanks to ozzy from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts

11. Thanks to bossman from:

Thank Post
    Go for an external input device. The conversion will almost certainly be far better than the Dell internal "card”. Be aware that you can't take the output direct from a turntable, you need an RIAA pre-amp. Not only does it boost the signal, but it equalises the sound to get it back to where it was originally before being equalised for recording.

Does that make any sense?

13. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to rip all my records to mp3. I used to use Cool Edit Pro but when I had to use audacity it took me a while to figure out how to get it to stereo.. Gibbo has the answer above.

I used to record via my mixer though, not sure how/if it would work straight from the turntable.

15. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

Thank Post

WOW - don't know what to say except "WOW"http://www.edugeek.net/forums/images/smilies

Oxxy, TMCD35, Bossman, Andrew C, Gibbo, Rabbieburns - WOW, you guys are amazing - thank you so much.

I will chronicle the process so others may follow along:

Making the sound - using a Technics Direct Drive turntable connected to an Onkyo 515 Pro receiver.

Capturing the sound - using the headphones jack on the Onkyo converted to mini plug and plugged into the mic/linein port on a Dell Inspiron 1525. Must convert Dell port to linein (audio preferences in Control Panel.)

Download Audacity and spend some time studying the features. The default input is mono, so go to Edit Preferences and convert to stereo (two channel). Put a vinyl on the phono, click "Record" button (be sure to set input levels) and let the system run.

Yes, there are lots of other "tweaks" that must be done, but at this point (where I am now ) music is being saved in digital format.

Bottom line - I am now confident that I can convert LP's to digital and eventually get them to MP3 format. As I learn the appropriate tweaks, I will post the cheats and tweaks that I have learned. I am not so thrilled, at this point, with the sound quality (sampling rate, bit rate - what should be used), but given direction already received from edugeek forum members, I know that the quality will improve as I learn the "ropes".

My next step will be to resurrect one of my older desktop computers, acquire an appropriate sound card and connect the turntable to that system (probably through one of the products you guys mentioned - thus a dedicated LP to digital workstation (off in a corner of the basement, so perhaps my wife won't notice it (fat chance of that ).

FWIW - I am converting albums that I have collected over the past 50 years - some are available in CD's or downloads, but the majority are albums that are "out of print" e.g., digitized versions are just not available. For instance, from the 60's, I have all the vinyl editions of the Weiser Idaho Fiddle Festival - where Mark O'Conner made his debut as a fiddle player.

Guys, I can't thank you enough ... I look forward to many positive interactions with you.

Thank Post
    Another tip for improved quality. Don't save as mp3s to begin with; record as a wav, then do do any editing, hiss reduction or level changing. Only then down-convert to mp3, keep the sample rate high or consider one of the lossless formats. I can no longer tell the difference; too old, too many loud gigs!

18. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread