+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Student use of MySQL in Technical; Does anyone out there in secondary schools allow students to use MySQL? If so, I'd be really interested in finding ...
    Thank Post

Student use of MySQL

Does anyone out there in secondary schools allow students to use MySQL? If so, I'd be really interested in finding out how you got around permission issues, as I understand that admin rights are required in some instances. Also, did you install MySQL as an entire package on stations, or the server part centrally?

Thanks in anticipation.

Thank Post
    One of out ICT teachers wanted it, so I installed mysql on a VM (built just for that, not one of our actual servers) and created a username for each of the students that needed to use it, and created a db for each under that name. There was only about 10 students.

Then installed sqlyog on the classroom machines, popped the connect ini script in the mandatory profile so it auto connected to the right server, and then they just logged in with their mysql usernames, and they had full permission over their own database.

Obviously this is probably only useful in this case, where the teacher just wanted to teach them some basics

3. Thanks to sidewinder from:

Gibson335 (13th January 2010)

Thank Post
    We have a MySQL instance setup on a server that we then allow students to create databases on.
    Have just installed each particular student as a user who only has control of one database ( same as their username ).

They can then add table / run SQL etc....
    We also use PhpMyAdmin, again installed on server, to allow the students to control their database but I am currently looking at some of the GUI tools and might install these onto student desktops.

Hope this helps.

5. Thanks to revilloc from:

Thank Post
    Did this a few years ago for a-level computing students who wanted to play with php and mysql. Just used an ubuntu LAMP setup and allowed the student one db each on the box. I used phpmyadmin to admin the db's and kept a close eye on things as it was a new setup (and the sixth formers liked to 'test' things thoroughly).
    It was actually easier to administer than the previous sixth form setup - using VB6 which frequently had issues running as a locked down user. Since everything ran on a single box which was not part of the domain it was quite easy to ensure it was kept secure and seperated from the other elements of the network.

7. Thanks to _Bob_ from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by revilloc View Post
    We have a MySQL instance setup on a server that we then allow students to create databases on.
    Have just installed each particular student as a user who only has control of one database ( same as their username ).

They can then add table / run SQL etc....
    We also use PhpMyAdmin, again installed on server, to allow the students to control their database but I am currently looking at some of the GUI tools and might install these onto student desktops.

Hope this helps.
    In what way did you install each student as a user, and did you not find anything that required higher level permissions?

Thanks again in anticipation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    Does anyone out there in secondary schools allow students to use MySQL? If so, I'd be really interested in finding out how you got around permission issues, as I understand that admin rights are required in some instances. Also, did you install MySQL as an entire package on stations, or the server part centrally?

Thanks in anticipation.
    On the same issue, but approaching it from a different perspective, is anyone using Access to run SQL commands and finding it meets all necessary requirements for SQL use?

Cheers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread