+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, managing digital photos in Technical; i'd like to know how people out there manage the massive number of digital photos downloaded onto the network from ...

Thank Post

managing digital photos

i'd like to know how people out there manage the massive number of digital photos downloaded onto the network from digital cameras. it seems that every event there is a staff member takes 100's of pictures (of which about 10 are useful) and then downloads them straight to the servers. And these days the image files are nearly 10MB each so it takes massive storage space.

i know quotas would prevent this however i'm not sure it facilitates it, by which i mean you want the photos taken and stored (good ones) just in a more controlled way. one method i was thinking is a web based photo management whereby images are uploaded and keywords etc added to create a managed catalogue. has anyone use such a system? i'd also be interested in how others are managing this.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Every so often, I hit big folders with J-PEG Imager and squash them all to a sensible size for on-screen/projecting. You only need 1M+ if you are planning on printing large. Those who might be planning this get warning!

3. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

ICT_GUY (13th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Here I run tools to see where massive folders are then take a look, if it's a dump of 100's of pics I tell them to reduce it to a few that they want to keep. If after a few days they haven't I copy them to a CD then compress the pics to 1024x768 and leave them, that way they know what's on the CD and they can still browse the folder but they're big enough to put in word docs or powerpoints.

The problem is with digital cameras people will go out and take 200 pics of an event and take the few they want but keep the rubbish 'just in case'. I can't justify the cost.

Thank Post
    Use Tree Size Pro to find out who are the biggest offenders and squish the image sizes. I also have a digi pics folder that they download all of their images to, this is organised into the years that the images were taken (so they can be archived once out of date).

Thank Post
    I have a seperate server and use this Open Source Web Gallery For Photos, Video, Audio, and Documents. Then have a share on the sever that Galleryserver is pointing at and staff can copy photos into folders that they can also create. Then when the database is sychronised the photos appear in the gallery. Means I don't have hundreds of photos hidden all over the main server that nobody looks at. Periodically look in staff home folders and If I find any photos I move then onto Gallery server - staff are pretty good and put them in Gallery server share as a rule as initially I did threaten to delete any potos found in home folders after I had set this facility up.

Works well for me anyway.

7. Thanks to seanmh from:

lionsl2005 (13th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I added a NAS box to host a media library, all images and DVDs go on there and staff are left to organise it themselves. Everyone so often pictures are resized to free up space.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I added a NAS box to host a media library, all images and DVDs go on there and staff are left to organise it themselves. Everyone so often pictures are resized to free up space.

Do you back this up? I thought about having a box with a load of drives in but worried about it loosing everything, I suppose I could run a weekly backup to an external drive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Do you back this up? I thought about having a box with a load of drives in but worried about it loosing everything, I suppose I could run a weekly backup to an external drive.
    Yeah we got two Terastations, one hosts the media library and the other is a backup drive for the server and the media library.

Thank Post
    We've shown people how to reduce the file size using the XP PowerToy, and have a Buffalo LinkStation Pro on the network which they keep them all on. When they fill that, I will archive the oldest ones off (people typically only want the last 18 months or so anyway).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bew79 View Post
    i'd like to know how people out there manage the massive number of digital photos downloaded onto the network from digital cameras.
    I'm just sorting this out today. I have a seperate file server virtual machine running Debian (because I couldn't get Ubuntu to run paravirtualised under Xen - I now have Debian 5.03 running kernel 2.6.26-2-xen-686, I think) and Likewise Open CIFS (now figuring out how to configure that) to provide file shares to Windows machines.

That VM, with a terabyte or so of storage space, will provide a file share where people can dump photos. I'll then have a Python script look at the file area periodically and index the images to go into a web-based search engine. I have most of the web-based bit working, I just need to change around how the backend works a bit to fit in better with how people actually want to use it.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I'm just sorting this out today. I have a seperate file server virtual machine running Debian (because I couldn't get Ubuntu to run paravirtualised under Xen - I now have Debian 5.03 running kernel 2.6.26-2-xen-686, I think) and Likewise Open CIFS (now figuring out how to configure that) to provide file shares to Windows machines.

That VM, with a terabyte or so of storage space, will provide a file share where people can dump photos. I'll then have a Python script look at the file area periodically and index the images to go into a web-based search engine. I have most of the web-based bit working, I just need to change around how the backend works a bit to fit in better with how people actually want to use it.

--
    David Hicks
    You might to look at something like ZenPhoto (i havn't used it in awhile) but it works by putting the photos in the folder like how you want, then if people want to caption them or such they can do it from the web frontend.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    You might to look at something like ZenPhoto
    I think my application is better :-) The idea is that staff (or pupils) can come along and dump images on a standard Windows file share, mounted as a drive, and the indexing application takes care of the rest. It treats folder and file names as tags, so to "tag" an image staff know you simply have to appropriately name a folder of images copied straight from a camera and copy them on to the "photos" drive. I'm just sorting out support for file permissions - that's what the thread about configuring Samba is about, Likewise Open turned out to work in a different way than I wanted.The web front end supports searching, produces thumbnails, provides an RSS feed for named tags, and even supports CoolIris for that daft-but-fun 3D lots-of-photos-whizzing-past effect.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    then if people want to caption them or such they can do it from the web frontend.
    Not sure I'd want the pupils adding captions to all these photos - not without some form of editorial control anyway!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I think my application is better :-) The idea is that staff (or pupils) can come along and dump images on a standard Windows file share, mounted as a drive, and the indexing application takes care of the rest. It treats folder and file names as tags, so to "tag" an image staff know you simply have to appropriately name a folder of images copied straight from a camera and copy them on to the "photos" drive. I'm just sorting out support for file permissions - that's what the thread about configuring Samba is about, Likewise Open turned out to work in a different way than I wanted.The web front end supports searching, produces thumbnails, provides an RSS feed for named tags, and even supports CoolIris for that daft-but-fun 3D lots-of-photos-whizzing-past effect.

--
    David Hicks

Is this likely to become an EduProject or find it's way onto the wiki?

Thank Post
    Second recommendation for Zenphoto if you want a way of organising and presenting photographs- really easy to customise (can have the school logo and match the style of the intranet for example) and add modules for slide shows or a whole host of functions.

Can also have group based permissions so only staff can see some albums- although AFAIK ZenPhoto doesn't work with LDAP authentication so it would be yet another username and password.

Open Source though so nothing stopping someone writing a add on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast