+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Tentative steps into Linux for a FOG server in Technical; This is going to be tricksy project I fear. I have no real working knowledge of Linux, though interested in ...
    Thank Post

Tentative steps into Linux for a FOG server

This is going to be tricksy project I fear. I have no real working knowledge of Linux, though interested in setting up a fog server here as we have no image deployment currently. No better time to learn I suppose...

Installed Ubuntu Desktop 8.10 successfully (finally) having found an old machine that it likes, and located me a guide to read: FOGUserGuide - FOGWiki

Seems pretty good! Step-by-step instructions... What I think is going on at this stage is that Ubuntu will look towards a text file of sorts for the manually assigned TCP/IP settings. Sadly, will have to re-jig these on and off for downloading the fog installation files as our separate un-filtered internet line needs the machine to be on a different IP address than the reservation in DHCP I've set for it.

I have this "new" feeling about it all, and this fear that I'll enter the wrong IP address somewhere and all the domain controllers will have blank, faulty Linux installations on there so I'm going to make sure I know fully what I'm up to before I go through with this.

Anyone fancy holding my hand through it? Anyone done it before and feeling helpful? If I get stuck, you guys mind if I ask stupid questions?

Thank Post
    I've setup and use fog as my imaging solution, and it works very well.

I found the best way was just to experiment - it's difficult to break linux beyond rescue, and if u do just start again. I experimented with FOG in a virtual environment first before starting fresh on a new server for the live version using the knowledge I gained in my research and experiments.

If you field any specific questions here there's bound to be people who have had the same problem or know the answer to what you're trying to do.

Mike.

Thank Post
    and all the domain controllers will have blank, faulty Linux installations
    I have the same fear

I'm think I need to plug the fog server & test PC into a separate LAN.
    I'm fairly new to Linux, but am also fairly comfortable due to ancient UNIX experience.

Maybe I know just enough to be really dangerous

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread