+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, WebDAV help! in Technical; Hi guys Been fighting with this for days now and have exhausted everything I can think of We want to ...
    Thank Post

WebDAV help!

Hi guys

Been fighting with this for days now and have exhausted everything I can think of

We want to get and students access to their home folders away from work. I tried FTP then we decided it was too insecure. I tried SFTP but couldn't find a suitable free solution which kept AD permissions. This led us to WebDAV

I set up a WebDAV site on our 2008 server for testing which worked perfectly, so long as the folders were on the local server. Nothing I tried (UNCs, mapping drives, symbolic links, giving the server access to the folders on the remote server) would make it work
    Eventually, I got fed up and set up WebDAV on the fileserver (running Server 2003). This was not as successful...

When WebDAV was hosted on the 2008 server, my Win 7 desktop (which I use for testing) was able to browse the directory in IE8 and map the drive without problems
    With it hosted on my 2003 server, I can browse the folders fine in IE but cannot map the drive on my machine (tried the GUI and the command line) or on the 2003 server itself using http://localhost. I also cannot use WebDAV client software (tried NetDrive and SkunkDav from SourceForge)

Does anyone have any idea how I can get any element of this working? I would prefer to get my 2008 server to handle folders on the remote server but I'll take getting the 2003 server to allow people to map drives!

Thank you in advance for helping!

Thank Post

how about VPN?

Have you considered you a vpn instead?

als won't IIS 7 on windows 2008 allow sftp with AD? If you haven't already have a play with the windows web platform installer - it's worryingly good

3. Thanks to danbuntu from:

pnlrogue1 (10th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Couldn't see anything about SFTP but if it does, that'll save me a lot of time

Windows Web Platform Installer, eh? Will have a quick look

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danbuntu View Post
    Have you considered you a vpn instead?

als won't IIS 7 on windows 2008 allow sftp with AD? If you haven't already have a play with the windows web platform installer - it's worryingly good
    Had a look at WPI and there's no SFTP app in there, though there are stacks of other fantastic bits and bobs (Moodle, PHP and Blogging tools?! Wooooo! )

Thought about a VPN but we're wanting to do this on the cheap and our proxy server only allows for one VPN connection at a time without paying extra + we want it to work off our NTFS permissions and work off 2 servers (one holds the work folders, the other holds the shared areas) AND we want it to allow students using their home machines to get in and I don't want them installing anything more complicated than an FTP/WebDAV client

Thanks for the advice though

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread