+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Creating a "normal.dot" with no toolbars in Technical; Hi folks... This is something of a workaround I'm trying to figure out here as I've opted to ditch Textease ...
    Thank Post

Creating a "normal.dot" with no toolbars

Hi folks...

This is something of a workaround I'm trying to figure out here as I've opted to ditch Textease and try to setup Word so that the children can start it using a command line shortcut that opens a particular template for their use.

Now I know that Word will save templates with toolbars quite nicely and that'd be great but the default normal.dot seems to want desperate to provide all and sundry with the usual Standard, Formatting, etc... toolbars and of course these show up on any templates build on normal.dot.

So, what I'm trying to figure out is the best way to deploy normal.dot so that it shows NO toolbars (except the menu one obviously) and then allows me to build templates that I've created with the toolbars particular classes need.

Any suggestions? and more importantly any caveats to watch out for?

NB: I'm using Office 2000 at the moment and have already looked at GPO and the provided ADM's... not much use there...

Thank Post

Re: Creating a "normal.dot" with no toolbars

You can replace the Normal.dot template with your new template. Create a new template the way you wish your Normal.dot to look and save it as a template. Go to your Templates directory under the said user in the Documents and settings directory and you should now have a second Word template called Winword2 remove the Winword template and rename Winword2 to Winword, Word will now launch with the new Normal.dot settings.

Thank Post

Re: Creating a "normal.dot" with no toolbars

That's a good start... i guess the next bit is knowing how I then translate that into an administrative install folder so it deploys to all users... ?

EDIT: actually no.. I'm not quite getting the idea above.. Checking my installations I've found that there's already a winword2.doc and it's 5 years old so I'm pretty sure it's not going to help.

also some confusion as to how that helps to be honest..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread