+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Notifying Changes of AUP in Technical; We've just updated our AUP and published it to the users (staff Inset session, updated staff handbook, letters to children ...
    Thank Post

Notifying Changes of AUP

We've just updated our AUP and published it to the users (staff Inset session, updated staff handbook, letters to children and parents, published on web site, notices in IT Suites). The letter we sent out includes a tear-off slip confirming that they've read it and will abide by it, however we're having difficulty in getting all the slips back. It has been suggested that I start revoking access, but I'm reluctant to do this as the teachers will be all over me because of the disruption. Am I right in thinking that we don't actually need to get signed forms back, i.e. that merely informing them about it is sufficient?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not have a look at AUP Informant from our very own Bizzel. Then your AUP pops up when people log in and have to accept it. Much better IMO.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would send out another notice to parents with a large and very prominent "This is your final warning, any forms not received will result in your children/s accounts being disabled" and do it on bright coloured paper so they can claim they lost it (eg: fluoro pink) in a stack of paper.

Then once you send it out, wait two weeks and anyone who hasn't, kill their account. Tell anyone that complains where they can find pen and paper and resources such as books!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    I would send out another notice to parents with a large and very prominent "This is your final warning, any forms not received will result in your children/s accounts being disabled" and do it on bright coloured paper so they can claim they lost it (eg: fluoro pink) in a stack of paper.

Then once you send it out, wait two weeks and anyone who hasn't, kill their account. Tell anyone that complains where they can find pen and paper and resources such as books!
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    It has been suggested that I start revoking access, but I'm reluctant to do this as the teachers will be all over me because of the disruption.
    I don't think it will be easy to just kill people's accounts like that, you will need a lot of backing from management (which I am not sure it would be easy to get) and huge hassle from teachers who have students who can't take part in their lessons.

This is why I suggested using some kind of online AUP so when they login its there. No paper to collect and wade through, if they are using a computer then they accepted the AUP. No one can claim that they lost it or they returned it but you lost it.

Thank Post
    This is why I suggested using some kind of online AUP so when they login its there.
    How do you get parental consent to this, do you mean they access the website?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I don't think it will be easy to just kill people's accounts like that, you will need a lot of backing from management (which I am not sure it would be easy to get) and huge hassle from teachers who have students who can't take part in their lessons.
    I actually already have SLT approval to block accounts (or at least remove Internet access) should it come to it, but we're not rushing to do that, for the reasons you identify regarding impact on lessons.

I'm thinking that, since the users have been informed, they are bound by the terms whether they agree or not. Certainly, we haven't asked staff to sign anything, merely updated the Handbook and spoken to them all about it, so presumably it is the same with the kids (or should I make staff actually sign it?!).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    How do you get parental consent to this, do you mean they access the website?
    No sorry I was thinking of pupils at school, I meant when they log on they get an AUP they have to accept to continue to login, if they reject then they are logged off.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    I'm thinking that, since the users have been informed, they are bound by the terms whether they agree or not. Certainly, we haven't asked staff to sign anything, merely updated the Handbook and spoken to them all about it, so presumably it is the same with the kids (or should I make staff actually sign it?!).
    The children would be classed as minors in most cases so if push came to shove in any formal law setting, any decent lawyer could argue that the parents weren't informed unless you have some sort of proof (eg: signed consent). (Although you might want to get someone with legal training to review that.)

You would also have to make sure any MoTDs/Logon Banners, clearly spell out that its unauthorised access (which they aren't allowed to do) if they don't have the appropriate forms submitted, and that access may be revoked at any time by IT services staff for any reason ect ect.
    Last edited by p858snake; 17th November 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Are the updates drastic? If not I would go so far as saying that being informed about the changes is enough. If you have made major changes to the AUP then I dont see any problem about removing access if you need to ask for parental authorisation again for their child to access the internet. But really it should be an SMT decision and not yours? If SMT want to allow or disallow access, your just putting into place what they are requesting and any complaints should be directed to them?

Thank Post
    The changes are fairly major. The previous one only really covered Internet use, whereas the new one covers all aspects of the IT systems. Also, the new one spells out that IT Support (and anyone else at the School's discretion) can see the contents of people's MyDocs folders, plus network and Internet activity reports.

You're correct that it is ultimately SLT's decision, but part of my job is to advise them in their decision-making process. SLT don't want to revoke access if it can be helped, but are willing to do so if necessary. I am trying to work out if it is actually necessary.

Thank Post
    I would say that if you have already sent letters out stating that you needed parental permission to continue to use the system you already have your answer. If it was to say that they were aware of the changes I would do what others have suggested and just have a popup when they log on which states they are aggreing to the conditions by continuing to use your network.

Thank Post
    New group policy item - fluorescent pink giant unchangeable My Little Pony wallpaper for boys who haven't returned AUP forms, equivalent for girls - sit back and watch the papers reappear!

Thank Post
    I would look at using "opt out" instead of opt in. This way you don't need to disable anyone unless specifically requested. And to get round the "we didn't see any letter" issue, make sure it's published on your website, with a big sign somewhere saying that this is so. And, assuming you've got Parents' Evenings coming soon, put A3 copies of the letter on boards at the entrance.

Thank Post
    It all comes down to symantics then. The tear-off reads as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by pupil section
    I agree to follow the school policy on the acceptable use of the network, as detailed in the IT Systems Acceptable Usage Policy. I understand that contravention of the school policy may result in disciplinary action.
    Quote Originally Posted by parent section
    I give permission for (name) to use the school network and the Internet. I understand that the pupils will be held accountable for their own actions. I also understand that some material on the Internet may be inappropriate or offensive and I accept responsibility for discussing the standards my child should follow when selecting, sharing and exploring information on the Internet.
    So, the parents are giving permission for the children to use the network, but one could argue that this isn't actually a pre-requisite of use, i.e. permission to use school equipment is assumed, just like they don't specifically give permission for the child to use the toilets, sports equipment, etc.

I wonder if we've inadvertently shot ourselves in the foot by the inclusion of "give permission". I will amend the form ahead of next year's intake :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post

Do what we do... No response is acceptance of the AUP

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast