+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Acer Aspire 5315s overheating in Technical; Morning all, Does anyone know of a registry (or otherwise) hack to make the fan in an Acer come on ...
    Thank Post

Acer Aspire 5315s overheating

Morning all,

Does anyone know of a registry (or otherwise) hack to make the fan in an Acer come on full blast, all the time?

We're having a few issues with Acer Aspire 5315s overheating on Windows XP.

First, a little background. We have a load of 5315s - 15 for curriculum use and 8 or so staff "teacher laptops". They used to run Vista, but have now been downgraded to XP (which has significantly upgraded their performance and general reliability). The student ones are fine, but some of the teacher ones have developed what has come to be called "sudden laptop death syndrome", where they shut down without warning due to overheating and can't be restarted for a few minutes until the temperature drops.

I'm wondering if XP isn't controlling the fans properly???

Stuff we've tried with limited / no success:
    Physically removing the back cover and removing a load of muck from the heatsink.
    Updating the BIOS to the latest version in the hope it would give some heat-related options in there. It didn't.
    Installing, amongst others, SpeedFan, which detect temperatures but can't find any fans to control |(I found a gadget to control the fan in an Acer Aspire One netbook - which produced some very strange temperature readings - maybe it's the thermal sensor rather than the fan that there's a problem with?? or maybe the drivers just don't match)
    In Device Manager, there IS a device, reported as working properly (under system devices) named "ACPI Thermal zone" - but I'm not sure where to take that line of reasoning!
    Installing the Vista "Empowering Technology" stuff - it installs OK but then doesn't work.

any ideas, anyone? if it was a desktop I'd have snipped the power cables to the fan and connected it straight to a spare HDD power connector from the PSU but I can't do that in a laptop... unless push REALLY comes to shove!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like Vista might be the only recourse?

Acer Aspire 5315 Fan Control - openSUSE Forums

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    http://soulpass.com/2007/11/10/insta...5-2153-laptop/

"Richard Says:
    December 4th, 2007 at 12:00 pm
    Just wondering if any of you are having the overheating/shutdown problem?

It appears that you need the Acer ePower Management utility that part of the Empowering Technology Suite to control the CPU fan properly. What I was experiencing, which was confirmed by Acer and other forums, that when the computer awoke from being suspended(sleep mode) the CPU fan would no longer run. Causing the CPU to slowly overheat and finally causing the computer to shutdown.

I was able to make this happen in XP and Vista (when I unloaded the Acer ePower Management Utility)".

And from same forum:

"we’ve got working Acer Empowering Technologies Framework and Acer Power Management software, this solves the fan/sleep/heat issue just as well as it does in Vista"
    Last edited by tech_guy; 16th November 2009 at 11:12 AM.

4. Thanks to tech_guy from:

BatchFile (16th November 2009)

Thank Post

XP workaround

i've just put XP pro on a friend's machine to replace Vista. I noticed the lack of fan noise, and installed Speedfan, and checked "Automatic fan speed". To make sure that it started with Windows, I used an all-in-one tuneup programme, to add it to the start list.

It still doesn't run cool, but 60-80 C is not very different from the vista figures...

of 60 - 80 C

HTH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread