+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Students to computer ratio in Technical; Hi all Does anyone know what should be primary schools in the UK Students to computer ratio? Thanks in advance...
    Thank Post

Students to computer ratio

Hi all

Does anyone know what should be primary schools in the UK Students to computer ratio?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post

my findings

i have 'heard' that the government have said they are wanting a ratio of two pupils to 1 computer( in primary ), but i have so far been unable to verify this. ( i suspect is it nothing more than computer salesman bu115hit)

I have however asked an ofsted inspector, and she said so long as you are following BECTA recommendations - 5 :1, ( i currently believe) then the school will not recieve any 'bad marks' during an ofsted inspection.
    I was also surprised to hear that if you have a computer ratio of around 6:1 and the school is doing well in other regards, then this would not result in a 'bad mark' either.

Got that straight from an ofsted inspection team !

I suspect these extremely low ratios of computers to children have, in most part, come from upper schools in remote areas etc, where the school will only have 50-100 kids anyway.
    I have emailed ofsted directly to ask the question, but the reply i got was not helpful at all, as it said it was only inspecting within the guidelines set, and didn't set them ( i think )

so currently it just looks like salesmen trying to put the scare on schools, and create more sales.

also if you are quoting becta recommendations i would in particular quote the ratio of wired to wireless computers in a school, which i think is around 80% wired. Also remeber that becta 'used to' recommend one full time tecnician for every 50-100 machines !

still looking to find more sources for this, so if anyone can help ???

3. Thanks to farmerste from:

stevenlong1985 (13th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Just spoke to the Duty and she says it 5:1 lets hope it is, I'm currently 3.8:1 ---- 682 Children to 180 (150 Laptops / 30 PCs)

Thank Post
    I don't believe that there are now targets.

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away, (when they were still called DfES) there were central targets for computerupil ratio, but these disappeared - along with the NGfL grants

Since then, the targets for ICT which are in place are for broadband connections; online parental reporting; a personal learning space for every student (ie disk on a server!) and for every school to provide a Learning Platform.

6. Thanks to rayfleming from:

farmerste (16th November 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread