+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Mobile wireless laptop carts in Technical; I have mobile laptop carts that I roll around to different classrooms throughout the building. The building has six floors. ...

Thank Post

Mobile wireless laptop carts

I have mobile laptop carts that I roll around to different classrooms throughout the building. The building has six floors. I want to hook up a wireless printer to these carts. How would I go about doing this? I figure that I would have to give the printer a static address. Right? What I'm worried about is when the laptop carts go to a different floor and pull a different IP address, will it still print?

Thank Post
    Printers should always have a static address, regardless of if they are wireless or not. This should be in a range of addresses that is not given out by DHCP.

It's best to setup the printer on the server then share the printer. Computers connect to the server printer share and not the printer directly. The server can then queue the prints properly - useful when all the children hit print at once. Although the printer can do this itself, it's better when the server does it (no real limit on memory means that the client machine can be clear of the print quickly). Also, the driver will get pulled down automatically from the server and you set up the default page sizes etc... on the server and it will apply to all users automatically. Should you want to change the IP, again, you'd just do it once on the server.

Here's why Microsoft say it's a good idea

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    Printers should always have a static address, regardless of if they are wireless or not. This should be in a range of addresses that is not given out by DHCP.

It's best to setup the printer on the server then share the printer. Computers connect to the server printer share and not the printer directly. The server can then queue the prints properly - useful when all the children hit print at once. Although the printer can do this itself, it's better when the server does it (no real limit on memory means that the client machine can be clear of the print quickly). Also, the driver will get pulled down automatically from the server and you set up the default page sizes etc... on the server and it will apply to all users automatically. Should you want to change the IP, again, you'd just do it once on the server.

Here's why Microsoft say it's a good idea
    I think you've misunderstood the question. I know how to set up a printer in a computer through the server. I'm trying to setup up a printer that will be moved around daily to different locations of a six floor building. This printer is traveling with a laptop cart , which has sixteen laptops in the cart. We will like the laptops to be able to print to this printer. Hope I explained it a little bit better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyg34 View Post
    I have mobile laptop carts that I roll around to different classrooms throughout the building. The building has six floors. I want to hook up a wireless printer to these carts. How would I go about doing this? I figure that I would have to give the printer a static address. Right? What I'm worried about is when the laptop carts go to a different floor and pull a different IP address, will it still print?
    So you have a wireless print server on the cart? wireless printer? static IP address assigned to print server on cart >>printer installed on file and printer server and shared. You should be able to print anywhere as long as you have a wireless signal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread