+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Inventory record keeping - In what ? in Technical; Have to admit a luxury here. We have a Samsung N10 connected to a barcode scanner. We use Setton's AssetGuard ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have to admit a luxury here. We have a Samsung N10 connected to a barcode scanner. We use Setton's AssetGuard Asset Management Software.

The techie likes it. We barcode everything that comes into the school and keep track of it like that.

I'm not sure how the software runs - but like I said, the techie likes it and if he's happy then the inventories get done.

GJE

Thank Post
    We are using GLPI and OCS Inventory - though got some issues with duplication of computers into GLPI which we cant seem to fix at present

There are rumours of purchasing the licence from the Equipment Register Module in FMS. (Why purchase what you can get for free?)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Have to admit a luxury here. We have a Samsung N10 connected to a barcode scanner. We use Setton's AssetGuard Asset Management Software.

The techie likes it. We barcode everything that comes into the school and keep track of it like that.

I'm not sure how the software runs - but like I said, the techie likes it and if he's happy then the inventories get done.

GJE
    We have it too here.... find it rubbish. It's just a front end to an access database.

Thank Post
    We use Parago here, was quick to setup and the reports you can produce are great, we also got a PDA with it which meant we could scan some barcodes (Dell bar-codes were to small to scan) straight in to the online database.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello Everyone
    For those of you who would like to use the SIMS Equipment Register I’ve just made a change request 0912-639509 asking for the ability to have user defined fields with different categories of equipment, its driving me nuts not being able to put the stuff in that I need when FMS\SIMS holds half the information already. If you think it’s a good idea please vote.

Thanks

.Adam

6. Thanks to fawkers from:

GrumbleDook (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    seems a lot of the same questions get posted in a different ways, obviously there are number of products etc which you pay for but again the most widely used one we work with is Parago

Thank Post
    Does the OCS and GLPI let you add individual devices like Mice and Keyboard which we also need to keep track of.
    I have looked into a number of things that do this.
    Right now I am playing with Racktables which is open Source and lets you keep track of devices n a rack. I also am using OpenAudit to keep track of what software is installed. Open Audit will also give you info such as Model,Serial number Drives . Can also set purchase price and warranty info. Can I do rack info with OCS/GLPI
    What I would love is something where I could search for a device have it bring up a info page about the device with details like I listed with Open audit was well as other info like. System has 3 NICS. Nic 0 and 1 are connected to port 22 and 32 in Cisco 3750 Switch A in rack 7 set to LACP. With a link to show all the software loaded, where I can click the name of some piece of software like Office 2007 and have it tell me 129 Machines have Office 2007 then a note that says I have 130 Licenses of O2K7. With Open Audit and racktables I can create notes but not very detailed. I would love to be able to have a file I keep on the server that the software reads. Then when I am working on a server I can update info like Installed Update 5. Changed path to X
    Then have that info show up in a documentation field. Racktables is also able to keep track of what IP addresses are being used. That is where we found it when looking for something better then the spreadsheet we were using.

Thank Post
    OCS and GPLI do let you add individual devices but it's not a tidy solution as they are bulked together under the heading 'Devices'.
    It does record the software installed on PCs and gives the option to uninstall it, although I have never tested this.
    It will link devices, but you have to do this manually, at least with the PCs, I haven't looked at devices such as devices in a rack.
    GLPI has it's uses in that it provides an auditable trail of kit and tickets assigned to individual devices. The helpdesk side isn't friendly to the average user but that isn't an issue here as we enter the details ourselves.
    The real buggerance with GLPI is it's limited reporting. For example to get a list of kit in a single location is impossible without writing a query direct from the DB.

At the moment we have it in place, it ticks all the major boxes but there is room for some tweaking which we haven't got around to doing yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12