+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, How do you tackle energy concerns? in Technical; I had some notes on that "only if logged in" thing, but now can't find them - could you remind ...
    Thank Post
    I had some notes on that "only if logged in" thing, but now can't find them - could you remind me how it is done please.

Also, has anyone found a way to shutdown PCs which are locked?

Thank Post

Smile

Set the pcs to shut down at 6pm.

Create an eco group with lots of student members and let them nag/remind staff to power things down at the end of lessons/school day.

Before you know it the kids will have teachers saving energy and you won't have to do a thing!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gill View Post
    Set the pcs to shut down at 6pm.

Create an eco group with lots of student members and let them nag/remind staff to power things down at the end of lessons/school day.

Before you know it the kids will have teachers saving energy and you won't have to do a thing!
    Our "Eco Monitors" have been a great success. Originally set up to get lights switched off, they have increased their remit themselves... nothing like kids being empowered to nag a teacher!

Every class from reception to year 6 has a badge (made ourselves using a badge kit - primary kids like badges) and each child takes their turn to be Eco Monitor for the week. Their job is to be last in line to leave a classroom and to ensure the lights are turned off. The older ones are turning off whiteboards and PCs now too With the younger ones, it seems the Eco Monitors are reminding the teachers they are supposed to be doing this.

Thank Post
    "Eco Monitors" is a wonderful idea in a Primary, not sure it would fly in Secondary, partly because of the fact that they're moving rooms all the time.

Thank Post
    We used to have a scheduled task doing shutdowns but I disabled it after the Conficker scares (used the same scheduler service)

Now looking at using Shutdownertron, seems better than the EZGPO at doing the same task

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    We used to have a scheduled task doing shutdowns but I disabled it after the Conficker scares (used the same scheduler service)

Now looking at using Shutdownertron, seems better than the EZGPO at doing the same task
    I did have a go with Shutdownertron which is a nice start at a de-centralised solution, but wasn't mature/comprehensive enough a solution for me.

I run beyondexe in a few shutdown scripts. We start shutting down all idle computers (ie not logged on) from 3.15, and repeat that schedule every 15 mins so that as users logoff, the computer will be shutdown shortly afterwards. Then at 18:00 we issue a shutdown regardless of whether users are logged on. All initiated shutdowns have a wait period of about 15 mins, and users are able to abort them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12