+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Any schools out there with a posh Travel & Tourism area? in Technical; Our head teacher has just mentioned to me that a pot of money might be available in the near future ...

Thank Post

Any schools out there with a posh Travel & Tourism area?

Our head teacher has just mentioned to me that a pot of money might be available in the near future in relation to the school starting to offer a travel & tourism diploma. He wants to use the money to make an existing classroom space into a very nice posh looking ICT based travel & tourism teaching space. A couple of ideas he has mentioned off the top of his head would be to have a mock office in one corner, a call-centre or travel agent style flat screen TV showning appropriate content on one of the walls, and a series of hexagonal tables fitted out with PCs, etc.

He has asked me to have a think about this to see what else could be added to the mix to make it even better. My first thought - ask Edugeek! Does anyone have any ideas about how to make this plan better? Any experience of doing a similar project, maybe for the same subject?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Dunno, but I'm sure you need to do some research visits to the Bahamas

3. Thanks to teejay from:

laserblazer (12th October 2009)

Thank Post
    On the contrary, i'm not one for hot weather! A cooler research location would suit me better...

Thank Post
    How about some sort of voip telephone system within the room, so students could play at being sales desk/cutomer service etc while others act as cutomers.

Thank Post
    Ooo... Nice idea! Keep them coming!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    He wants to use the money to make an existing classroom space into a very nice posh looking ICT based travel & tourism teaching space.
    I get the impression that the travel & tourism industry uses rather less posh IT equipment than you might think - I think the travel agents / airline booking system is still text-based, you won't be needing anything fancier than a couple of basic PCs with flatscreen monitors. You might want to see what software you are expected to install if you actually want to have pupils trained as travel agents.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I get the impression that the travel & tourism industry uses rather less posh IT equipment than you might think - I think the travel agents / airline booking system is still text-based, you won't be needing anything fancier than a couple of basic PCs with flatscreen monitors. You might want to see what software you are expected to install if you actually want to have pupils trained as travel agents.

--
    David Hicks
    The mention of posh was more the Head's wording to illustrate the fact that he wanted to get the most value out of this pot of money he has designs on by buying lovely new kit... You are, of course, correct about actual industry conditions. The other carrot in this project, however, is that for a portion of the week the room will be up for grabs for normal ICT lesson use, so decent kit would be a plus there...

Thank Post
    Why not talk to a couple of the big travel companies. Thompson, First Choice etc. They might have a training system set up that you can access.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheredenine View Post
    he wanted to get the most value out of this pot of money he has designs on by buying lovely new kit...
    Does this work area have any windows? If not, or if there's a suitible chunk of wall space, you could set up "virtual" windows, like they have with the control tower simulator for training air-traffic controllers. MS Flight Simulator, a decent "gaming" PC with enough graphics capability to run three screens, three projectors, some whiteboard paint and you're away.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread