+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Server Hard Drive Installation in Technical; Just bought 2 new 72gb drives for our HP ProLiant ML370 G5, so we can start putting resources on it, ...

Thank Post

Server Hard Drive Installation

Just bought 2 new 72gb drives for our HP ProLiant ML370 G5, so we can start putting resources on it, and have space left over!

Now, being fairly new to the technical world of servers and RAID setups etc, how can I put these in, and then re-configure the server to use the new drives? The server has been setup to use RAID5, but want a fairly idiot proof () guide to help me if possible!!

Cheers all!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumaedition View Post
    The server has been setup to use RAID5, but want a fairly idiot proof () guide to help me if possible!
    72GB isn't all that much - I'm setting up a 1TB file area just for photos and thinking that's rather small.

RAID 5 requires at least 3 drives, so you can't use that. You'll probably want to set up a RAID 1 array - two drives, with the contents of one drive mirrored on to the other. Does your machine have a proper hardware RAID controller? If so, load up the setup utility (or BIOS settings screen) for that and see what options you have. What operating system is your machine running? If you're using Windows, a new drive should appear in the "drive management" section of the system management tools window, letting you format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

--
    David Hicks

3. Thanks to dhicks from:

speckytecky (12th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    72GB isn't all that much - I'm setting up a 1TB file area just for photos and thinking that's rather small.

RAID 5 requires at least 3 drives, so you can't use that. You'll probably want to set up a RAID 1 array - two drives, with the contents of one drive mirrored on to the other. Does your machine have a proper hardware RAID controller? If so, load up the setup utility (or BIOS settings screen) for that and see what options you have. What operating system is your machine running? If you're using Windows, a new drive should appear in the "drive management" section of the system management tools window, letting you format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

--
    David Hicks

sorry, forgot to say, it has 6 72gb drives installed already

Thank Post
    It depends on the server, as you want to expand the RAID array to take in the new disks, you'll most likely have to use the RAID BIOS which is available when the machine is booting. Be very careful here - it's very easy to wipe the entire contents of the array when you expand it. I'd recommend a comprehensive backup/image of the server, then read all the instructions for the RAID BIOS and go from there.

6. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Pumaedition (12th October 2009)

Thank Post
    space is an issue here, especially with Flip cams and the like. a NAS is in order i thinks! 72gb is peanuts, I uploaded 3 GB of videos from english last week alone!

3 1TB in RAID 5 set up as a separate array I would suggest

Thank Post
    If it's a server running Ultra160 SCSI discs though, putting in 1TB drives is not an option

I believe this server will take 8 x 146GB drives at max.
    Last edited by 3s-gtech; 12th October 2009 at 12:22 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread