+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Support from above? in Technical; Originally Posted by srochford I would hope you would get support for doing it but why would you need them ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I would hope you would get support for doing it but why would you need them all for the entire summer? Why not ask groups of people to bring them in at intervals? Surely that makes your life easier (you get them in batches that you can image easily) and you're not buried under a mountain of machines?
    Teachers bring in their machines during their "precious" holidays.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    We had all our staff machines in summer just gone, but this was because we totally changed the domain, and there was no alturnative option really.

180 machines is a lot to deal with in one go, I would try and go for the phased roll out option if possible. We found just dealing with 80 machines was difficult, finding space to store them, making sure they were labelled and named properly and making sure they were all given back to the right people, then dealing with the silly complaints about not having the same charger as they had last year etc. When you've got 20+ members of staff all queueing up at your office waiting for their machine back it's no easy task, particularly if you're also dealing with problems at the same time.

If I could find an alturnative way to collecting in all the machines, I definitely would!

Mike
    Space to store them shouldn't be a issue, if your at school during the holidays just take over the classrooms and move the desks into rows/benches and just image them from there.

As for making sure they get "theirs", when they hand them in, on the bag put a piece of masking tape and a marker for their name.

And to hand them back out, since they all have their names on them, just put them in the staff room in alphabetical order and a sign out sheet and a sign telling them to make sure they have the one with their name on it.
    Last edited by p858snake; 2nd October 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    I hate to do this to ssiruuk2, but if you follow this link you'll see what happens without planning change management. It's not about the technology but the people who use it, and I can wholeheartedly agree with those who say that you should stage it. If you're lucky, or skillfully select a group to roll out the upgraded laptops to, you may find you have a pool of "champions", those who can see the benefits and will share and promote the technology amongst their peers.

LOL thanks for that beeswax

That post was me venting steam after a very busy summer, staff returning back and being totally negative and resistant to any change they face. I've seen it time and time again its not just upgrading the email system; the move from old paper registers to electronic was classic and yes they were very well informed of that one..

This was by a select few members of staff who have no idea the amount of work what goes into providing their ICT network and its continuing development / improvement. On the whole that upgrade was welcomed by the majority in the end and I'd do the same again. I do concede that I could have produced a document showing those non tech savy how to use the new version and the differences.

edit: Forgot to say that we are pretty fortunate in our place regarding the thread topic; we get great backing by our SLT which is good to know. I have seen other schools local to us who are at the other end of the spectrum regarding support from above and I don't envy the IT teams there at all.
    Last edited by ssiruuk2; 3rd October 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    This was by a select few members of staff who have no idea the amount of work what goes into providing their ICT network and its continuing development / improvement.
    Very few are interested in this side of it. My apologies once again.

Thank Post
    I am currently tasked with writing a timeline to do exactly that. Change of OS version plus change of Office version. I have already informed SMT that I will require the summer break to work on it, also that I will require all laptops returned to base for the duration of the change.

Thank Post
    Why don't you, TonyJF and leco collaborate on this and then share your best practice with the rest of the community?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12