+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Installing Drivers as non Admin user in Technical; Guys and Gals Ive searched the whole forum and while there are many topics on this subject there is not ...

Thank Post

Installing Drivers as non Admin user

Guys and Gals

Ive searched the whole forum and while there are many topics on this subject there is not straight answers.

Basically we have some new USB Cameras and other usb hardware to install on 100+ machines, and in the past we have installed them when we have done a new build, where we plug in the device in all the USB ports possible and install the drivers in the image so there are there as a standard USER. But this is not an options at the moment and they want the devices working ASAP, it just asks for the admin password, ive had a small look into this in the past and its down to the fact that i think it needs to write some values to registry in HKLM, amongst other things.

How do you go about doing this ?

Cheers
    Last edited by Scorpio; 28th September 2009 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    You could try install the driver and use some snapshot msi creator like Wininstall/le or there are loads of others. I had to do this for the digital blue microscope driver.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    ive had a small look into this in the past and its down to the fact that i think it needs to write some values to registry in HKLM, amongst other things.
    You'll still need to be admin to write to the registry, and even if you had something write to the registry the install routine for the software would still try and re-write it anyway.

If your driver is properly signed you can distribute it via Group Policy. If it isn't then your best bet is probably a dedicated "install" user with admin rights that runs a script on startup, installs whatever software you want in silent mode, then reboots the machine.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Give them all admin status for the time there using it so it install and sets up.. i do

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have had some success with this kind of thing using WinInstall LE as jsnetman suggested.

You basically make a new package with WI LE plugging in the usb device before the second snapshot and the reg changes are captured.

Doesn't always work but seems to quite a lot of the time. I seem to have more success by remaking the whole package rather than just capturing the reg change. Not sure why though but it does seem to work better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    not sure if this is a viable option depending on whether or not you would give the users local admin or power user rights so as to give them enough rights to install software / make registry changes, if so then you could use group policy to apply this to each of the users computers and then go from there.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies

So i install Winstall LE on a PC do a Snapshot, then plug in the device and let it install correctly, then proceed to plug in all the ports and then once done do another snapshot and export to MSI and then distribute using GPO?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My Computer (Right Click) > Properties > Hardware > Driver Signing.

Maybe disable that?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread