+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, I need some technical help (dont know where to start) in Technical; A general outline: Our summer project was the installation and implementation of a wireless network around the school so that ...
    dsk

Thank Post

I need some technical help (dont know where to start)

A general outline:

Our summer project was the installation and implementation of a wireless network around the school so that we could deploy netbooks to all staff and have electronic registration via SLG.

The extra machines meant we had to extend our DHCP scope from its current 512 to 1024. Easy enough, we filled in all the forms and got it done at the back end so we could extend our end. Our subnet went from 255.255.254.0 to 255.255.252.0. Our range now 10.64.92.xx to 10.64.95.xx, brilliant!

Two weeks ago, my manager tells me we need to move to server 2008 for RADIUS to work. Fair enough, we pulled a 3 day shift where we installed 2008 on the severs and went through the transitioning process and all that promotion to domain controller. All seemed well.

All the APs were installed, signal was good, we could connect, hurrah.

My manager went on holiday.

School starts. Problems begin. Nothing seemed to go right. Dozens of our whiteboard machines that were working perfectly before the holiday cant seem to find the domain. Ive tested the ports, reset the switches they go to, tried new cables, nothing seems to allow me to get these machines back on the domain(the NICs have flashing lights and all). Ive tried to manually assign IPs to these machines, it will take them, but the domain controller is still unreachable, argh? Is there something ive missed in the DHCP setup??

To add to that the wifi seems to be falling over. All the machines seem fine for a few hours, then seem to lose the ability to connect drives, servers, rdp etc, even though its still got an 'excellent' connection.

Thats only the main problems, ive literally got a list of other issues to deal with as well

Thank Post
    Is it radius related? Have you checked event viewer on the clients and the server?

dsk

Thank Post
    I dont think so, due to the amount of users on our curriculum network and the way the network is setup, we didnt enable radius in the end. Its only enabled on our admin network,.

I havent checked event viewer, i must do that. Its been a bit hellish as ive been on my own trying to figure out why all these things and more arent working. I shall have a look tomorrow.

Our IP range was 10.64.92.xx to 10.64.93.xx, and now that we have the 94 and 95 range also. Is there any reason why a client machine would fail to connect to the DC if i give it an IP in the new (94 or 95) range?

Thank Post
    Just a long shot but worth mentioning.

when you performed the 2008 upgrade did you move dhcp to a different server, is so it is possible that your servers are still aware of the old/temp dhcp server even though it may not exists any more. this is an easy error to miss but can be checked by having a look in the dhcp console and check the list of authorised servers.

dsk

Thank Post
    On each network we have a DC which has the DNS DHCP roles also.

Im pretty sure when we rand the FSMO query thing, it said everything was given to the new server.

Thank you so much guys, its hard to actually think when you have so many people asking you for things, im sure im missing something obvious..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread