+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, School Newspaper in Technical; We're considering starting a school newspaper. We don't want to put this online (for quality control and editorial reasons), but ...
    Thank Post

School Newspaper

We're considering starting a school newspaper. We don't want to put this online (for quality control and editorial reasons), but would like something a bit more impressive/pro/"whizzy" than simply producing a Word document.

Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what you mean by 'impressive/pro/whizzy'?

The software package isn't the key bit - its the person who does the work, and whether they have the design skills to make it look impressive.

Personally, I'd say use something like InDesign.

Thank Post
    What I meant by "impressive" was that if we have them do it in Word, it will have a fixed page size (and probably be plagued with ClipArt!). A HTML or possibly even blog-style product would be more flexible and appeal more to the MySpace generation.

The "person" who will do the work will be a class-load of Year 9s, who will have one 50-minute lesson per week.

I couldn't justify the cost of 20ish copies of InDesign for this...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Internal Wordpress Blog?

5. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

enjay (14th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem here is not necesserily one of a problem with the software, but maybe one of how the paper is put together.

How about creating a more formal news team structure? ie. have your journalists, who simply create the articles, gather the photos etc... and then have editors who do the sticking of it together. That way, a single design would be implemented and then stuff stuck in it however it fits.

Also, you said it wouldn't be going online, then said you would want a html or blog style thing? This is kind of contradictory.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Also, you said it wouldn't be going online, then said you would want a html or blog style thing? This is kind of contradictory.
    Sorry, I meant the WWW; browser-based and only available in school would be fine.

I know I'm not explaining myself very well here, but that is mainly because it is only a fledgeling idea at this stage (not necessarily a bad place to be, mind you).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok. I would suggest something like a wordpress blog then, as Sysman suggested. This could then have a tiered QA system - students can submit articles, complete with images etc... and then they have to be approved/edited before publishing.

You'd need a good template though.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Yeh WP blog sounds like it'd do the trick... I'd be interested to see how blogging type things can be used in our school in the future. I've heard that the head's well up for everything web 2.0'ish.

However, if you want something more traditional that does indeed look whizzy then have a look at Pages (part of iWork on OSX). It's so easy to make jaw dropping stuffs. Take a look at our school newspaper, the resources guy puts it together and we get it printed on glossy paper. (Wouldn't know how much that cost us. :P)
    http://www.arthurterry.bham.sch.uk/d...ATTOct2008.pdf

If you have access to any macs I'd recommend it. :P

PEO
    Thank Post
    I've now setup a blog style staff board for the staff intranet... will see how it works out in September

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieC View Post
    Yeh WP blog sounds like it'd do the trick... I'd be interested to see how blogging type things can be used in our school in the future. I've heard that the head's well up for everything web 2.0'ish.

However, if you want something more traditional that does indeed look whizzy then have a look at Pages (part of iWork on OSX). It's so easy to make jaw dropping stuffs. Take a look at our school newspaper, the resources guy puts it together and we get it printed on glossy paper. (Wouldn't know how much that cost us. :P)
    http://www.arthurterry.bham.sch.uk/d...ATTOct2008.pdf

If you have access to any macs I'd recommend it. :P
    To be honest, whilst that is better than some school newspapers it still has the same old problem of not having a single style throughout. It has different fonts, different page styles, different numbers of columns, etc... So, whilst Pages looks like it can create good stuff, it still comes down to editorial guidance to ensure it is a shiny finished product.

Maybe I'm just far too fussy?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    To be honest, whilst that is better than some school newspapers it still has the same old problem of not having a single style throughout. It has different fonts, different page styles, different numbers of columns, etc... So, whilst Pages looks like it can create good stuff, it still comes down to editorial guidance to ensure it is a shiny finished product.

Maybe I'm just far too fussy?
    Yeh I agree to a certain extent. Ours goes for a more magazine'y format, I guess to make it seem more exciting....lol. :P

Thank Post
    Okay, looks like WordPress Internal has it. It looks like I can just chuck it in as a sub-domain of our Intranet, so security shouldn't be an issue (bearing in mind I'm going to be running this on our FRDC to start with!). Any other hints/tips/gotchas I need to be aware of? Has anyone used this on a CC3 network?

We need this to be as simple as possible for the students - the lessons are to be about research, writing and presentation skills, not about how to use blogging software! The students will be creating blogs on topics of their choosing, and maybe a "life at school" blog too in place of a more conventional newspaper.

Thank Post
    Possibly being stupid here, but I can't get WordPress installed correctly - does anyone know if it will run on a Windows server, or whether it needs to be a Linux one?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Should work on Windows - easiest to install it under WAMP in windows though IIRC. IIS + PHP + Mysql isn't the nicest of setups.

You may find it easier still to run a virtual machine with a LAMP install instead though...

17. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Okay, definite progress here. I have WAMP installed (on a test PC for now) and have created a WordPress blog in it.

Our students will be creating a number of blogs, or rather lots of students will be creating one blog each. I can achieve this by making lots of copies of the WordPress folder, but I was wondering if there was an easier way.

Any WordPress "gurus" out there?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast