+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, AD and net connection redundancy.. in Technical; Originally Posted by Ric_ @contink: RE you're gateway thing... assuming that all machines connect directly to the net with the ...
    Thank Post

Re: AD and net connection redundancy..

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @contink: RE you're gateway thing... assuming that all machines connect directly to the net with the server(s) acting as router(s) rather than using a proxy... you could set up each server as a router and use your DHCP idea. This would also load balance your Internet routing through the servers in theory. Since all the gateway details would be updated by server B if A disappeared all should be well.
    Ok... sounds good... I guess I'll have to give that a try...

The machines still have to use the Vital proxy but use the DC as a gateway so yes it's a router.

@PiqueABoo: Yes, it's become a lot more complex than it needed to but that's mainly because when I started I knew zilch about Win2k3, DC's, etc... and I've had to learn on the fly with my Mark Minasi book for "light" reading. That's likely to change in the near term thanks to some more work and my awareness that my skillset has holes you could drive a tank through.

Either way, it's sure an exciting way to learn..

Thank Post

@contink: You should really work out a way of implementing a caching proxy too (2 old boxes running IPCop and CopFilter should do with some kind of balancing and failover method) since this is recommended by Becta and should give for a slightly better net connection experience. It's also not really best practice to use your DCs as routers.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @contink: You should really work out a way of implementing a caching proxy too (2 old boxes running IPCop and CopFilter should do with some kind of balancing and failover method) since this is recommended by Becta and should give for a slightly better net connection experience. It's also not really best practice to use your DCs as routers.
    Agreed...

I've been looking at converting at least one of the older AMD 2ghz machines to the role of firewall and proxy...

Something tells me I'll be getting worn patches on my knees while I ask for input some more

Thank Post

it's become a lot more complex than it needed to but that's mainly because when I started I knew zilch about Win2k3, DC's, etc...
    Ok.... but if you want reliability in that school, then the rule in my experience is: Less is more.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12