+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Multiple Site Backups in Technical; A friend of mine has asked me to produce a backup solution for him. The only problem is as they ...

Thank Post

Multiple Site Backups

A friend of mine has asked me to produce a backup solution for him. The only problem is as they are for 6 dental practices the sites are scattered accross the country.
    What we want ideally is a box in one location to back-up the practices databases (and probably a box to backup the backup). Ideally some sort of incremental backup (or just very regular backup) so that if a HD does die during the day no (or at least not much) of the practice data is lost. The amount of data from each site is relatively small (probably ~100mb).
    I dont really know all that much about backup software, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this. If any of our sponsors know of anything suitable could you pm me a quote please?

Cheers
    D

Thank Post
    you could probably just setup a scheduled task at each site to either rsync(via an ssh tunnel) or SFTP a backup of the database to a central server, assuming they all have a reasonable internet connection transfering 100mb-200mb wouldn't take long at all. on the central server all you'd need to do is run a script to rename the directories at set intervals and delete the older ones.

I've setup a similar backup routine here, the backup server consists of an HP ML115 with a Startech 4 drive esata enclosure attached, I've then setup 2 1tb drives in a raid 1 config and have 2 spare drives ready to be swapped into place - the enclosure will simply re-build the array once the 2nd drive is re-inserted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UproarUK View Post
    What we want ideally is a box in one location to back-up the practices databases (and probably a box to backup the backup). Ideally some sort of incremental backup (or just very regular backup) so that if a HD does die during the day no (or at least not much) of the practice data is lost. The amount of data from each site is relatively small (probably ~100mb).

Look at Zmanda, backup to a cloud!

Alternatively 100mb is not a lot of data so if you want to backup centrally then consider, a VPN between sites and a traditional backup software such as BackupExec.

Andy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread