+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Digital Signage Systems in Technical; Originally Posted by webman Mano: NTBs are about £1200+ IIRC. Thanks Webman, that gives me something to go on anyway! ...

Thank Post

Re: Digital Signage Systems

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Mano: NTBs are about £1200+ IIRC.
    Thanks Webman, that gives me something to go on anyway!

Cheers

Thank Post

Someone told us about teemlink www.litscreens.com, it seems to do what we want. They use a hosted model so upgrades and updates are taken care of. They were at BETT with NEC so they must be ok. Not tied into certain hardware like others either so we can reuse old kit.

Thank Post

Have been talking to Litscreens. They also offer an option for you to host the system. Not cheap though. You are talking in the region of £18-£20K for 5 systems inclusive of hardware, software and installation.

We are still looking .......

Alan

Thank Post

Yeah, I thought it was pricey too, but ease of use might mean staff actually use it without giving me another job. We are also planning to use old kit, just buying cheapo screens for now to save cash. Management also wanted the screensaver option- more work for me to sort out no doubt. Why were you looking at hosting it? Not confident they could do it, or was hosting expensive, because we got it included as a 'bundle price', which may or may not mean we have been had.

Thank Post

WWe were looking at hosting it mainly because our LEA Internet link is a bit unreliable and slow. It would not look good for the image of the school to visitors if the reception display was dropping out because of a bad internet link. It is also I beleive an ongoing subscription which our IT Manager is not a fan of.

If we go for anything we will probalby look more at something like the ACTIVE Netbox (from memory) cos it can take live TV as well!

Alan

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ctbjs
    Mark

It would be interesting to know how you compare to another company I have had a demonstration today from a company called tripleplay TV. Triple Play Website

It's healthy to rope in some competition I think.

Chris
    Yes, certainly. Our solution can use a diskless set top box (£169) like triple play, but you can use any PC to play the content - any, be it windows, linux, whatever, as long as it has a browser. This means that for all the companies and colleges that use plasmanet, they don't have to install software on their player or administrator pcs. They don't have to configure their network - it just works. You can buy the software, lease or hire the service and run it as a player connected via the web to our servers. Also plasmanet is the only signage solution with EasyEdit templates where you can change content on the fly, again without needing to install software on your PC. We concentrate on corporate communications, so our strength from the content side is that we're not about traditional signage where advertising videos and revenue generation are key. Also we have a niche in the real time data side of things where we can connect into websites, databases, call switches etc. We have a lot of kudos in that some large companies use our solution and we support our customers operation if they want, so we don't just sell the software we help install and get the most out of it.
    regards
    mark

richard

Sorry to raise this old chestnut again but I'm trying to find the simplest solution for my junior school.

All they require is a single monitor in the main entrance and a system that is quiet as its going to be located in the office.

I'm toying with may be using an old laptop that has a busted screen and using remote desktop to control that and up load the Powerpoint slides show that they want to use. For the monitor I'm thinking about using a 20" or bigger tft screen. Any thoughts?

Think you have answered your own question Richard.

Could always opt for a cheap 42" Plasma + laptop / pc

Thank Post

Problem with using remote desktop is that after you close your connection,
    the remote machine is now locked at the login page. This is not compatible with digital signage, so you'd have to log in at the machine.

I've got 2 solutions to this, depending on your needs.

q1. Are you able to install new software on your controller PCs?
    q2. have you got java enabled on the controller machine?

Also, a problem with most laptops is that the motherboard doesn't allow the machine to auto start on power loss. This may be a problem as you might need to access to the laptop to reboot. An auto startup motherboard would allow you to just off and on at the mains to restart.

let me know

regards
    mark hopgood
    director
    plasmanet uk ltd
    08700 747 757

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Richard: Don't use RDP, just use VNC. Your solution will work fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That'll work. We're considering something similar. The only difference is we'll probably buy a 30+ inch TFT Widescreen TV.

Thank Post

We are still looking at this and have almost decided upon a supplier - I will post the final decision soon. However one thing we have been advised by the suppliers we have been speaking to is to avoid plasma screens as these easily suffer burn-in from the usual template style of display used for Digital Signage.

We have also been told to be careful of LCD TVs being used as PC monitors. Apparently some cannot really display the resolutions they quote. You really need to test the kit first if possible or ensure that the TV will display a much higher res than you need.

richard

Mark, its great to see things like your product but we only have a very limited budget and solutions like yours tend to be beyond our reach

Thank Post

@secman: With plasmas you should be OK as long as you get 'industry-grade' and not 'consumer-grade' screens. The (more expensive) industry monitors are designed to run for longer and can display REAL black as opposed to the washed out grey of the consumer ones.

Whatever type of screen you get, it is advisable to put plain black 'pages' between slides to completely clear the screen (these need only be on for a fraction of a second) so that you avoid burn in. It's also advisable to change the layout regularly - this not only helps to avoid burn in but it also means that people will continually look at the signage.

My Navaho MediaCat system from Oliis will be going in at the start of the summer hols... I'll let you know how it comes along and maybe post some pics if you are lucky :P

Thank Post

We have finally taken the plunge and gone with Matrix Display (OneLan solution). We actually got a good deal as we are the first in Bolton to use Matrix and we agreed to have their logo at the bottom of the screen.

Installation will begin late August (eeek), but already the design gurus are in contact in regards to layout etc.

Ill keep you all posted on development.

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast