+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Images and HAL files in Technical; Is there a list or something with processors and their appropriate HAL files?? Reason I'm asking is that I have ...
    Thank Post

Images and HAL files

Is there a list or something with processors and their appropriate HAL files??

Reason I'm asking is that I have build a WDS image for our XP Pro DELL machines and added drivers for both the variants of DELL that we have, then referenced these in sysprep.

I've also noticed that another intel P4 machine will also show the image as an option when booting to WDS deployment. - Does this mean that the machine will probably have the same HAL, therefore meaning I can use the same image as DELLs if I add teh drivers to the image??

My aim is to create as few images as possible and roll out to as many machines as I can!

I notice that the Core2Duo and Dual Core Intel's wont see the WDS image, presumably because the HAl is different.... Am I on the right lines???

Previously, we've made images of every machine type then rolled them out without knowing that other machine drivers can be added to the image.....

Thank Post
    myITforum.com : A geeks guide to Windows XP HAL Replacement (but ignore the rest of the article).

You're on the right lines. Build yourself one uniprocessor image and one multiprocessor, build in the appropriate drivers and capture (or vice versa with an offline mount).

Note: this took me a *lot* of fiddling last year. Be prepared for frustration and cursing.

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

adamchapman (5th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Hmm, I'm a little confused now...

I've just added drivers for a different machine (Intel P4) by mounting the WIM and putting them in C:\Drivers..etc and then changed sysprep file accordingly.

Unmounted the WIM, committing changes.

Then Imaged the Intel P4 machine, and get:

File is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system

any ideas? This image has worked fine on 70 DELL machines so far. Could the image have been messed up by mounting and unmounting? I haven't changed anything other than copying the new drivers in and changing sysprep file.

Could it be something to do with the fact that the Dell machines are Intel Celeron D, and the others are Intel Pentium 4?

There are around 40 of these machines, so my plan is to use the same image if at all possible. If that works, I've then go another 40 HP Evos with Intel P4 to add to the mix
    Last edited by adamchapman; 5th August 2009 at 03:37 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread