+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Get Exchange Server talking to the outside world. in Technical; Please help, I'm tearing my hair out with what should be simple. I'm new to Exchange Server. I'm working for ...
    Thank Post

Get Exchange Server talking to the outside world.

Please help, I'm tearing my hair out with what should be simple.

I'm new to Exchange Server. I'm working for a private client over the summer holidays and the want an email system in their office.

Six users, all using the same btconnect email address.

I've set up Exchange Server 2003 Standard edition (evaluation), and a couple of mailbox-enabled test user accounts. They can happily send email to each other, share calendars etc. on the local domain.

(I thought that I could put the incoming external email into a public folder for them all to see).

Now how do I get them to be able to send email to the outside world using their btconnect email account? In Outlook, you enter the name, email address, password, incoming POP3 and outgoing SMTP email servers, and it just works. Where do you put the equivalent information in Exchange?

I feel like a complete idiot with this. I'm obviously going about this the wrong way. What am I doing wrong? ](*,)

I intend to set up Exchange at the school next term, so I need to get this mastered before I start there.

(Fortunately, my client know I haven't set up Exchange before, so they're letting me use this as a training session - I'm not charging them for this)

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Get Exchange Server talking to the outside world.

Doesn't work like that. You need to use a SMTP connector for outbound mail.

http://www.amset.info/exchange/smtp-connector.asp

You can't pull email from a POP3/IMAP account with Exchange. You'd have to use something like fetchmail (cygwin port from *nix is your best bet). Or have the remote SMTP server push mail to you (assuming exchange is doing mail for your domain).

Thank Post

You'd have to use something like fetchmail
    I used the win32 Soho Mail Server a couple of years ago to collect mail via POP3 accounts for a couple of weeks and serve it out again via POP3. Different scenario so I can't guarantee redirecting collected POP3 mail to an Exchange server via SMTP will work, but on paper it will:

www.sohoserver.co.uk

One of those useful for the toolbox utils and I really liked it, but you need to know how email works to configure it.

Thank Post

In the past we have used POP Beamer to collect email from POP3 mailboxes and push onto Exchange. Works fine. But as Geoff said, the best way is to get your ISP to forward to your mail server.

EDIT: IIRC, Windows 2000 Small Business Server had an extra component which allowed collection of email from POP mailboxes. I don't think the component was available anywhere else. If you have SBS then this may be an option.

EDIT: If you are setting up Exchange for the first time, don't forget to think about backups and routine maintenance. You might also like to think about setting limits on mailbox size.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked
    Now how do I get them to be able to send email to the outside world using their btconnect email account? In Outlook, you enter the name, email address, password, incoming POP3 and outgoing SMTP email servers, and it just works. Where do you put the equivalent information in Exchange?

I feel like a complete idiot with this. I'm obviously going about this the wrong way. What am I doing wrong? ](*,)

I intend to set up Exchange at the school next term, so I need to get this mastered before I start there.
    Thanks.
    First thing, Using POP3 to deliver Email to another server is a crutch to support very small businesses or poorly chosen internet packages. It's a compromise and under some circumstances it WILL produce unpredictable results.

As such Microsoft themselves only support it in Small Business Server, their 'compromise for small business' product, which is actually a very good product. I'm a little surprised that you're not using SBS for 6 users. It's cheaper, and easier to set up and administer, than the full versions of the products.

As for setting up Exchange in school, In a way this might actually be easier, as you're not going to be trying to shoe-horn it into a small business setup. However, Exchange is a very involved product and I really would suggest either attending a course prior to setting it up, or getting some help to do so.

Thank Post

Thanks to everyone for your help. It looks like I'll go with fetchmail or something like that in the short term. I'll look into a 'proper' solution later.

The client are a charity, so only pay a fraction of the retail price for MS licences - so Exchange isn't so expensive. I don't know anything about SBS, so stayed away from it.

Funnily enough, we got a new head this week. The first thing she came to me with was a query about the school's email. She was amazed at the crappy webmail system we're using, and wants Exchange ASAP. Looks like I'll be setting it up at school sooner than I thought. In at the deep end.

I know where to come if I need help. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Have you shown her something like OpenExchange or Zimbra? That would be a better option than Exchange in the long term

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Have you shown her something like OpenExchange or Zimbra? That would be a better option than Exchange in the long term
    Ooh my poor head! Are they easy to administer, compatible with Outlook and well supported?

I'm all for Open Source generally, but don't want to risk my neck on something that all the staff will use. With something like this, any mistake will be very public. Call me a coward!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread