+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Jabber server. Can there be only 1 in Technical; I'm looking at XMPP from 2 angles at the moment 1 school related 1 personal related. Year 8-10 Internet citizenship ...

Thank Post

Jabber server. Can there be only 1

I'm looking at XMPP from 2 angles at the moment 1 school related 1 personal related.

Year 8-10 Internet citizenship skills and teacher to teacher communication in the classroom from a work point of view.

Allowing memebers of a world of warcraft guild to chat outside game as an out of work side project.

Now I evaluated various technologies for both from good old IRC to worldwide IM networks like ICQ and of course the MS exchange behemoth. I've come to the conclusion that I want to be able to sandbox the school one with no external links. Its just not worth the security and filtering issues. The personal one I don't really care about federation either it just might be fun to play with. At the end of the day it all seems to come down to XMPP / Jabber. It offers standard IM features very much like yahoo, MSN, Facebook, Myspace, AIM messenger client pupils will use in the real world and it can be kept totally internal and fully logged.

Now having picked XMPP I find that clients are a dime a dozen, very advanced and there is a flavour for everyone. For the home use app people can ideally pick their own client. For school I'll likely be picking pidgin as the xml nature of its config files means I can write them with logon scripts and make the whole thing seamless for users.

Finally we have Server choice and this is where I'm stuck on both counts.

The latest feature comparison I can find online is late 2007. Server implimentations have come and gone since that list. Ejabbered, openfire, and jabbered 2.0 seem to be the most actively projects at present. Openfire was clearly the easiest initial setup. I ran it for the outside school project first it was easy setup so set it up in work too and got LDAP working no problem. Took some tweakign to get groups sorted but got it fiddled too.

Now I'm seeing some holes. The WoW players are finding niggles in openfire's implimentation. It works well with spark and is feature complete as far as that client is concerned. But when teamed with pidgin Nickname changing for channels doesn't seem to work. Profile field updates either don't take effect or take effect after a logout logon and then become locked forever. I created a default group for all users on this server too but it doesn't update. You see the list of people who were in the group when you joined it but not people who subsiquently join it. I've started looking at the code and I'm thinking this is beyond my ability to tweak / fix.

Now I'm back at the beginning considering other server software but there are no reviews, blog entries etc with people experiences with other servers that are any way recent. So I thought I'd ask here.

If you've implimented Jabber in a work or non work project. Which server software did you pick and how do you find its feature set, stability and client compatibility?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have had a look around but tbh openfire is as good as it gets currently. We run a custom build of openfire here I made which integrate into vbulletin but it likes its ram a lot and there are some issues with it and groups. I restart it regularily to try to get around the issues.

Thank Post
    Yea. I've fiddled it a bit ove rthe last 2 days and most stuff works altho not everything as advertised.

Changing your alias in a channel only seems to be possible by rejoining with Pidgin but wth spark you can right click and change.

Server side groups I'm writing a really hacky plugin that removes all members and re-adds them every 30 seconds to make presence update. cos I looked at the presence code and got scared.

AD integration works well but as you say scheduled restarts are the name of the game to keep it synced.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread