+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Exchange Server 2007 OWA Setup in Technical; Hi All! Hope your all having a good summer! (We've successfully done all our major work) which included updating to ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Exchange Server 2007 OWA Setup

Hi All!

Hope your all having a good summer! (We've successfully done all our major work) which included updating to Server 2008 (from 2000) and moving Exchange to 2007 (from 2000)...

Now my question!...

Ive installed 2007 successfully!!!...first time every doing a exchange setup and it worked 1st time, even migrated the mailboxes! (i even shocked myself)!

lol

Now how do you setup Outlook Web Access, i keep on reading things about making a SSL Certificate? Right, how do i do this? seems like you have to pay for it?..

And will this stop the error you get saying "There is a problem with this website" and you have to click Continue all the time!

BUT other than that everything works!!! lol

Cheers!

Mart

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, what you will need to do is generate a CSR in IIS for an SSL Certificate making sure all the details are correct for your school/company

Then you need to go to an SSL Provider such as VeriSign, Go Daddy etc and purchase an SSL Cert.

I have used Godaddy and have had no problems what so ever with them, brough a wildcard the other week.

anyhow you will need a Multiple Domain Certificate, also called Unified Communications Certificate (UCC) for Exchange 2007 so from godaddy a decent cert with this is going to cost you $200.00

Once you have brought the token you then need to follow the instructions, complete all the checks until they send you the cert file.

Once you have this you then just need to install the cert into IIS again using the instructions they give you.

You should be ok, any problems just shout! done this alot of the past few months.

James.

3. Thanks to EduTech from:

mmoseley (23rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi EduTech!

Much appreciated, I dont really wanna have to spend any money just to get OWA to work!...Is that just stupid or is it me?

Is there any way not to have it secured? so just through port 80..

Crazy things!

Mart

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    Hi EduTech!

Much appreciated, I dont really wanna have to spend any money just to get OWA to work!...Is that just stupid or is it me?

Crazy things!

Mart
    You can make your own SSL certs, although i picked up a SSL cert for $9.95 the other day through enom ( although i have a reseller account with them )

You can get 'cheap' ones from RapidSSL: Free SSL Certificates, Wildcard SSL, QuickSSL cheapest $69.99 (which is the same one i paid $9.95 for!)

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ssl/ssl.asp < go-daddy also do cheap SSL Certs - £18.20

Dan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi EduTech!

Crazy things!

Mart
    Hi,

You may not want to spend any money to get OWA to work, which is fine donít use OWA :-)

But obviously OWA is a must especially in a school and for external access, with the sensitivity if data been passed through it is very important it is through a secure protocol 443

Yes you could go through port 80 but this would then bring along implications from a security point of view and is NOT recommended.

It does not cost much for a decent SSL Certificate these days, and as Dan said above you could make sure own self signed certificate but i would recommend you do get a signed certificate from a known/trusted distributor i.e. VeriSign, Go Daddy etc.

Hope this helps,

James.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    it says free for .edu but i am guessing they also mean .sch.uk aswell?

but the answer is yes, if the certificate is a UCC Certificate then it will work.

Thank Post
    I got a free cert from these people last week and it works fine with Exchange 2003.

Maybe this cert won't work with Exchange 2007. See here How to create a certificate request for an Exchange 2007 UCC
    Last edited by Jobos; 23rd July 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    I got a free cert from these people last week and it works fine with Exchange 2003.
    Yeah it would work with Exchange 2003, Exchange 2007 gets a little more complicated! pain in the backside tbh.

Exchange 2007 is different to 2003/2000 when it comes to SSL certificates. To use 2007s features externally you need a special certificate (Unified Communication Certificate or UCC) which contains 'alternative' credentials.

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why does MS ensist on changing things! so annoying as when we had exchange 2000 it was so simple to setup OWA, now im completly lost lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why does MS ensist on changing things! so annoying as when we had exchange 2000 it was so simple to setup OWA, now im completly lost lol
    Thats the microsoft way isn't it? :-)

So, do you understand what's been said above? or are you unsure on something...?

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To True

No i understand totally, just dont understand WHY i have to do it, we never used SSL or even https:// with our old exchange 2000, just means its going to be a pain in the backside, and money we didnt plan on spending!...

But if its a must!

Cheers EduTech!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No Problem mate, yeah it's a bit of a pain if you have not budgeted for this cost, although tbh really you should of been looking to have your email over https anyhow.. i would never even think about publishing OWA over HTTP.

Good Luck anyhow, hope you get it sorted. If you need any help just shout.

James.

Thank Post
    Hiya,

We have Exchange 2007 and are using OWA. To do it properly you do have to have a Unified Coms Certificate. We dont and people just have to press the continue button if they are accessing form outside.

From inside though, you can generate your own SSL certificate (using selfSSL) and deploy it to your stations through AD, so your internal stations do not get the message. That wont help from outside though sorry!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle1 View Post
    Hiya,

We have Exchange 2007 and are using OWA. To do it properly you do have to have a Unified Coms Certificate. We dont and people just have to press the continue button if they are accessing form outside.

From inside though, you can generate your own SSL certificate (using selfSSL) and deploy it to your stations through AD, so your internal stations do not get the message. That wont help from outside though sorry!
    To be honest, if it's a school or any business for that matter it should be done properly!

In this day and age you really dont want to take the risk doing things on the cheap with data

SelfSSL should really be used for Testing Purposes only

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast